• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tow strap cleaning and maintenance?

njedgexj

NAXJA Forum User
im looking for some information on how to care for your tow straps after being used and getting them dirty.. like how do you guys wash them and whatnot..i did a search but didnt find anything...
thanks,
njedgexj

ok, thanks for the info... one more thing how many times do u guys use the strap before u replace it..
thanks,
njedgexj

Sunlight can damage a tow strap. I had a friend in highschool who always kept his wraped up around his roof rack (yes, he was a poser). I saw him do an easy pull with the strap and it broke. Nobody got hurt and nothing was damaged other than the strap. The strap was less than a year old and had a few pulls on it. We ended up using my strap which I kept dry and out of the sun and it didnt break. I have had it for over a year and a half with several good hard pulls and its still in good shape.

AARON

BudTX said:
I read somewhere that up to 10 pulls is the life expectancy of a tow strap.

i have used mine many more times than that. use it till it shows signs of wear, tears and such. i would even keep it around incase you break a newer one, and if you dont have metal hooks on it there is a very low chance of anyone getting hurt if it does break. oh btw, power sprayer will have it looking new

Ramsey said:
i have used mine many more times than that. use it till it shows signs of wear, tears and such. i would even keep it around incase you break a newer one, and if you dont have metal hooks on it there is a very low chance of anyone getting hurt if it does break. oh btw, power sprayer will have it looking new

I would avoid using high pressure, it may cause damage. A garden hose should work just fine. Just remember they are just going to get dirty again anyway.

I put mine in the washer machine with my jeans. Then toss it in the dryer with some bounce. Fawker comes out gleamin like no other and smells fantastic! :spin1:

Hey buddy... smell my tow strap. Never though of that idea. You need to keep them clean and free from oil and grease which will cause them to break down. Ive had one strap my dad passed on to me and it lasted about 15 years not to mention that it was 4" wide adn always cleaned. The amount of use determins on how long it will last. do your self a favor and always carry 2 and keep them in a bag with all your other recovery gear.

I place mine in a wash tub or the bath tub and let it soak with the detergent of choice over night,spray it off and hang in sun till its dry.
Gets off most of the loose dirt & mud but the heavy stains will stay in.I also carry it in a tool bag with all the other recovery gear.
Wayne

Back