• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

winch battery recommendations needed

mike harris

NAXJA Forum User
I'm running four 100w offroad lights and a 9000lb winch and my stock battery is'nt going to cut it anymore.Would a deep cycle be my best bet or can I get by with a red top optima?The only thing my winch manual says is"must use a battery with atleast 650cca"and does'nt mention anything about deep cycle.It seems to me like deep cycles are mainly for trolling motors or for loads that are to be powered without the engine running.If I went with the red top and upgraded the alternator will that be my best bet or go with a yellow top and upgraded alt.?What is a good setup in this situation?Sorry for the long winded post.

i just went to wal-mart, yest thats right wal-mart, and bought the highest cca battery i could find. i think it was around 700cca, and it was only $50. it has worked great, i also have a 9000# winch and 4 offroad lights and a 1800watt stereo system. it works great for me. before the new battery i actually shut my car while winching even when i was revving the engine. with this one its not even a concern anymore even with lights and tunes.

I'm running 2 Optima yellow tops with my winch and system and love it. That way you can disconnect one battery, run your stereo at a party until your battery dies, then hook up the other one and drive away. Or when you're winching, you've got a lot of deep cycle power (double amperage, and lots of ampere-hours to get you out of rough spots). They last a long time and pull like crazy.

jeo said:
I'm running 2 Optima yellow tops with my winch and system and love it. That way you can disconnect one battery, run your stereo at a party until your battery dies, then hook up the other one and drive away. Or when you're winching, you've got a lot of deep cycle power (double amperage, and lots of ampere-hours to get you out of rough spots). They last a long time and pull like crazy.
I'm running the same setup, only with a red top for the main and running the winch, lights etc. off the yellow top.
Always lots of reserve power.

mike harris said:
why a blue top?besides the extra terminal.

Blue and yellow are the same except for the extra terminal. Just don't get the blue starting battery.

Ramsey said:
i just went to wal-mart, yest thats right wal-mart, and bought the highest cca battery i could find. i think it was around 700cca, and it was only $50. it has worked great, i also have a 9000# winch and 4 offroad lights and a 1800watt stereo system. it works great for me. before the new battery i actually shut my car while winching even when i was revving the engine. with this one its not even a concern anymore even with lights and tunes.
Did you get a sealed battery? If not you might end up leaking acid out of it on the trail (I know I did out of my stock one).

Sure the wal-mart battery may be fine for winching with the engine running but what if for some reason your engine won't run (IE: Hydrolock) You'll be wishing you had a deep cycle when your winching yourself out.

Back