• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Doing gears, and need some help

tcm glx

NAXJA Member #1033
Ok guys, here is the deal, first of all I have a 1992 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 auto, and I assume it has a Dana 30/35 combo. I am currently lifted with a 3.5" Superlift kit, and 1" front spacers and 1.25 rear shackles. Currently have 31" BFG A/T, will soon move to Mud terrains in one of the following sizes, 31x10.5, 265/75/16, or 32x11.5x15. I am looking to regear and am pretty much set on 4.10's. WHat are you r thougts and recomnedations.

Is this the best combo, truck gets driven about 50 FWY miles a day.
What parts do i need?
How much will parts cost?
How much will labor cost?

thnks in advance

tcm glx said:
Ok guys, here is the deal, first of all I have a 1992 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 auto, and I assume it has a Dana 30/35 combo. I am currently lifted with a 3.5" Superlift kit, and 1" front spacers and 1.25 rear shackles. Currently have 31" BFG A/T, will soon move to Mud terrains in one of the following sizes, 31x10.5, 265/75/16, or 32x11.5x15. I am looking to regear and am pretty much set on 4.10's. WHat are you r thougts and recomnedations.

Is this the best combo, truck gets driven about 50 FWY miles a day.
What parts do i need?
How much will parts cost?
How much will labor cost?

thnks in advance

If your only after 4.10 search the junk yards. Most axles can be had with 4.10 at Pick&Pulls for around 100-250ea. You may even get lucky and find a D44 from an XJ or an 8.8 out of an Explorer, the some of the 8.8's are geared to 4.10 with a Posi.

Parts $250 per axle
Labor $150-350 per axle
Locker or Posi's are extra $250-750 per axle.

If you do decide to pay someone to do your axles. First don't do it on the D35, find a better axle. Second you should consider 4.56 and get your monies worth.

I have RE4.5" with 32s. I got both front/rear D30/C8.25 from junk yards with 4.10 for about $500 in total - much cheaper than regear. The XJ gets driven about 70 miles per day and MPG is not bad at all...

i totally agree. finding a new rear axle with 4.10's already in it will cost you far less than having new gears installed in your axle.

seriously consider 4.56, because before long you will want 33's and it will not be to speedy with 4.10's

Just recently did this because i toasted my original 355 geared 8.25.

I have 31's will go to 33s soon.

The 355 gearing with 31s was not bad when i lived in NJ on flater land. When i moved to WNC in the mountains to keep at speed going up the mountains the the down shifting was rediculous so it became a goo op to go to 410 when the rear let go. It was acctually the pinion bearing and nothing more. This was a good enough reason to upgrade anyway.

I bought a JunkYard 410'ed 8.25 from a 99 with low miles for $250.00. I could not find a low mile front for cheap in the area so i opted to regear the D30 myself. The gears and install kit was about another 250. since i replaced the wheel bearings and u-joints already the new gears would in escence basicly provide a new axle.

I like the regain of power with the 410s and 31s and although the 33s have more rolling mass i expect that the power will be close to stock as the RMP's with 33s with 410s are just slightly higher then stock.

My only issue with the 31s and 410 is at hwy speeds 75 up my MPG drops off due to the rpm range albeit only 2-3mpg. At lower speeds around town the MPG is great. I do a great deal of hwy driving as my XJ is a "work vehical" but get it off road quite often. For my uses the 410s work fine. If i were to use the Xj as a part time driver or used it off road mainly i would definatly go with 456/488s.

Last edited:
great info you guys!!

So help me out, how do I find a rear end taht is geared correctly, which ones actually had 4.10 from the factory and how can i be sure?

tcm glx said:
great info you guys!!

So help me out, how do I find a rear end taht is geared correctly, which ones actually had 4.10 from the factory and how can i be sure?

Most XJ's with 4 bangers and there are a few with the 2.8l. Most likely AT's, the best way is to read the tag or count the teeth on the ring and divide by the teeth on the pinion. The Ring might also be stamped like 45-11. 45/11=4.09. Which is 4.10, do worry about variances, 3.54 and 3.55 are the same, like 4.09-4.11 are the same.

You can also try www.car-parts.com , great place to shop.

Go with 4.56's. Talk to Rawbrown he can get you what you need. I think he has a couple D44's sitting around for sale also. He is only about $150 to install gears and carrier. He setup my rear D44 for me and I am regearing the D30 myself and I have put up about $350 for tools so far.

http://www.rawbrown.com

Back