• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Shackle upper bolts

red91

NAXJA Forum User
91 xj. I notice in the same way the front leaf spring bolt goes into the frame, the upper rear appears to as well. IF I remove the bumper, will I be able to get access to it from inside the rail ??

Making contingency plans...

Kind of sort of, there is a bit of sheet metal in the way. There's an oval cutout in the end of the frame rail.

When I changed my rear shackles, the upper left bolt was frozen in the weldnut. Ended up getting it out, but severely damaging the threads. It's backed up with a nut on the inside of the frame rail now.

I found it to be much easier to cut the metal around that oval opening to give yourself some extra room. My custom bumper now goes through the holes that I made, but anyway, I used a wizard wheel to make the holes bigger. The hardest part is removing the stock bumper, man that sucks.

MSHarnett said:
I found it to be much easier to cut the metal around that oval opening to give yourself some extra room. My custom bumper now goes through the holes that I made, but anyway, I used a wizard wheel to make the holes bigger. The hardest part is removing the stock bumper, man that sucks.

I only have 2 bolts holding mine on. I broke 3 of the trying to get them loose.
Figured I'd tap them and just run some real bolts thru the holes.

Back