• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Waggy 44 information needed

Fergie

NAXJA Forum User
Can those that know point me in the correct direction for waggy d44 information.

I am looking to get rid of my 8.25" and go with a 44, but on a budget, so XJ 44s are out. I can pick up an entire 87 waggy for under 400 with d44s front and rear, but want to make sure the rear axle is useable.

From the info that I have read, I know I'll need spacers for the proper width, and will also need to changes perches and mounts around.

If you can weigh in with your advice and knowlege, then I would apprecite it.

Thanks

Fergie

Fergie said:
Can those that know point me in the correct direction for waggy d44 information.

I am looking to get rid of my 8.25" and go with a 44, but on a budget, so XJ 44s are out. I can pick up an entire 87 waggy for under 400 with d44s front and rear, but want to make sure the rear axle is useable.

From the info that I have read, I know I'll need spacers for the proper width, and will also need to changes perches and mounts around.

If you can weigh in with your advice and knowlege, then I would apprecite it.

Thanks

Fergie

Fergie,

Do you mean you can get a full size 87' waggy or an xj 87' waggy. Jeep used that name for both their full-size SJ & compact XJ as did the use of the name Cherokee. If you mean the full-size SJ waggy then try to get 1 with narrow track or 1 without the fender flares. I know of a dana 44 for $250-300 in Sacrament, CA at a local bone yard I spotted. You don't want to have the resp on getting rid of the carcass later if you just want the axles, I guess you can always rent a dumpster, but that's a pain. A xj dana 44 can be had for under $350 if you know where to look, you should be able to get the 1 I spotted in Sac for that if you can find a good shipper.
Troy

I mean a Grand Wagoneer, not the XJ version.

It just seems to me that folks with an XJ D44 know what they have and like to get as much money as possible, the whole supply and demand thing.

I need 4.10s in a D44 and some sort of traction device, and with that in mind, it would be more cost effective for me to get a Waggy 44 and and do the needed work to make it fit in an XJ.

As far as getting rid of the carcass, the local yard will either buy it for scrap, or I will have them take it as a salvage vehicle.

Is the 44 in the Sac yard from an XJ?

Fergie

Would something like this be feasible, but with some mount work? And wouldnt I need a special locker for the 30 spline shafts? And also redrilled flanges?

Dana44 from 1972 Jeep J2000
5 on 5.5 lug pattern
1-Piece 30 spline shafts
4.10 gears
Open carrier
WMS = 65.5"
Perches are set at 49.75" and are the stock SOA mounting
Complete, drum to drum

you should look into getting a yota truck rear axle. that being said, If you get the waggy, pull both axles, and put the front in later. HTH. dave

The locker/diff is common (30 spl). some early 44s had 19 splines and are not desirable.

The WMS on that is approx 5" wider than the newer SJ (and XJ) The brake wheel cylinders may or may not marry up to the XJ lines? I'd replace em on a '72 axle anyhow. Dunno how easily the flanges & drums will redrill, or if they'll swap out with other brakes.

That J2000 was springOVER?

Otherwise... relocate the spring perches & shock mounts & hang it.

35xj said:
you should look into getting a yota truck rear axle. that being said, If you get the waggy, pull both axles, and put the front in later. HTH. dave
I have thought about that, so I'll get in touch with Safari.

Yotas are 6 lug though, arent they?

I may have lucked out and found an XJ housing, but not too sure as the dude is saying it is out of a 1990. It doesnt have shafts or plates, but that isnt too hard to get ahold of.

Does anyone have websites that list WMS, and vehicle options to look at?

Fergie

If you're keeping the D30 front, get a 2wd Tacoma axle (5on4.5 bolt pattern), Lincoln has one he's getting rid of, check the Rubicon trip section for his post.

If you're gonna put a D44 up front get a 4wd Tacoma axle (6 lug).

A Waggy D44 rear may very possibly be too narrow. An 86-95 Toyota rear is 58.5" and is too narrow to clear XJ leafs, the Waggy rear is 58-59 inches as well.

BrettM said:
If you're keeping the D30 front, get a 2wd Tacoma axle (5on4.5 bolt pattern), Lincoln has one he's getting rid of, check the Rubicon trip section for his post.

If you're gonna put a D44 up front get a 4wd Tacoma axle (6 lug).

A Waggy D44 rear may very possibly be too narrow. An 86-95 Toyota rear is 58.5" and is too narrow to clear XJ leafs, the Waggy rear is 58-59 inches as well.
Yeay, the 30 is staying up front. Can you give some more info on the Taco axle? Does it need to be from a 2wd, or will a 4wd work? Also, is it a direct bolt in, or is fab work needed?

From what I have read, if I keep the waggy rear the way it is, save changing the mounts, I will need wheel spacers to change the lug pattern, and to bring the width to where it should be. Is this correct?

I dont mind the fab work involved in changing mounts around, but anything more than that, then I might as well spend my money on an actual D44 from an XJ.

Fergie

the reason an earlier Toy axle (and therefore probably a Waggy axle) won't work is the drums would be too close to the leaf-springs. spacers won't cure this.

I'd never seen the 5 on 4.5 Taco axle until Lincoln posted pics, the fab-work would be basic, you get D35 clearance with better than D44 strength, and 4.10 geared third members are a dime a dozen.

here's Lincoln's post: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31925

Thanks for the thread. I'll talk with him and see what all i find out. If I get some good info, I'll post it up as to what needs to be done to the axle and so on.

Now I have even more avenues to pursue to try and get rid of this damn 8.25". There ought to be some kind of disclaimer about them.

Fergie

http://www.ifsja.org/index.shtml

Early '70s FSJ axles will likely be passenger side drop and have drum front brakes.

ALL grand wagoneers are "narrow track" and you want the axles from '84-92. '83-85 or so used disco fronts. '84ish-'86ish used an AMC 20 in the rear (not the crappy 2-piece like a CJ) not d44s.

Only the pre-xj cherokees were available in a wide-track model. All J trucks are wide track.

Any of them should work just fine.

Back