• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

show me your axle bearing retainer plates

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
I wanna see how are the ones that are cut out so that they slide on and off the axle shaft without taking the bearing or seal off (pretty much where the cut is). Preferably D44 but others will work too .

Thanks

Kejtar said:
I wanna see how are the ones that are cut out so that they slide on and off the axle shaft without taking the bearing or seal off (pretty much where the cut is). Preferably D44 but others will work too .

Th
12.jpg
anks

ChuckD said:
Do you need new ones? if so, I believe RawBrown sent me to Drivetrain direct. They were pretty cheap and fast delivery. I got four for under $10, I have the spicer part number at home.
Actually I'm gonna cut mine off the D44 that's bent and put them on the TJ assembly I got (damn retainer plate didn't match!)

I got mine from Moser, pretty quick shipping.

Dan Turner said:
Remi, how'd the cutting go last night??
I think good. I knicked the seal (about 1mm or less slash) but I think it will be fine as I put a wee bit of gasket maker on it and made sure to have it in the "up" position.

Then I had to go and swap the drums out as one was waaaay messed up and the other one didn't look pretty either. Now I will have to get my driveshaft in and one of the seats and take it for a test drive.

Dan Turner said:
Go get "The Right Stuff" gasket maker.....good stuff.

Dan
Yeah... after Rabbit sealed up my rear diff with it it took me close to 45 minutes of prying and bending the stock cover to get it off! I'll pick some up for trail repair emergencies (didn't it say it cured in seconds and worked underwater or something like that?) but I don't think I'll be putting it on items I would like to remove every so often :D

Why did you have to cut that retainer off? I thought you had a press. All you needed is a bearing seperater and you would have been able to save it. :doh:

ryurabbit said:
Why did you have to cut that retainer off? I thought you had a press. All you needed is a bearing seperater and you would have been able to save it. :doh:
Well I cut it appart so that I could slide it on the other one :D

So what exactly was the part number from DTD for the open D44 axle retainer that slides over the axle w/o having to remove the bearings?

Will this work with the disc brake conversion (built in TJ spacer) or just in drum applications?

I've notched a few rubi ones to work with discs, no issues.

the reason you need to cut is b/c the reatiner that holds the bearing on needs to be cut off and I haven't found anyone that sells just that collar without the bearing and seal.

ChuckD said:
Do you need new ones? if so, I believe RawBrown sent me to Drivetrain direct. They were pretty cheap and fast delivery. I got four for under $10, I have the spicer part number at home.

Hey Chuck can you pm me or post that part # I have some TJ shafts for trail spares and need some slip on ret. plates.

So if I understand you correctly, you took a Mopar Rubicon D44 retainer (for use with disc brakes) and notched it similar to the one on DTD picture and you were able to slip it in the axle w/o removing the collar and bearings?

That would be great b/c I just replaced the bearings on my XJ D44 and now I'm converting to disc brakes and I'd hate to have to ruin the bearings and collars if I didn't have to.

cherokeekid said:
I've notched a few rubi ones to work with discs, no issues.

the reason you need to cut is b/c the reatiner that holds the bearing on needs to be cut off and I haven't found anyone that sells just that collar without the bearing and seal.

MarkF said:
So if I understand you correctly, you took a Mopar Rubicon D44 retainer (for use with disc brakes) and notched it similar to the one on DTD picture and you were able to slip it in the axle w/o removing the collar and bearings?

That would be great b/c I just replaced the bearings on my XJ D44 and now I'm converting to disc brakes and I'd hate to have to ruin the bearings and collars if I didn't have to.

yep

Back