• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Existing foglight wiring

bgcntry72

NAXJA Forum User
Installing my new BPI (dat bumper is da bizznazz) I noticed the part of the wiring harness for the factory foglights, which my jeep did not come with. Is the other end of this plug already behind my dash? Is it a constant on circuit? Can I mount Hellas with this wiring? I know it's probably not sturdy enough, as nothing stock ever is, but I thought I'd ask. TIA
:next:

I can't answer everything but...

The curcuit isn't always on, it's only hot with low beams, easily fixed. You're going to have to get in there behind the dash anyway to put the switch in, so just find the "hot" wire (but a hot light on it, turn the headlights on low beam, find one with voltage, kill them, voltage should go too), anyway, run that to your fuse block. Boom.

I've had Hella 500's on my stock wiring for the past four years, no problems, the wires don't even feel too warm.

Sequoia
Oh right, almost forgot, the wiring from the switch up there is not the actual fog light wiring, it just switches a relay. The stock relay is on the LH inner fender wall (right on top, can't miss it), poke around in your wiring loom for a big lump of a relay socket. Worst case you'll just have to graft one on.

Actually that wire is for the temp sensor for the overhead console. I found the same wire on my 99 sport(that didn't come with factory fogs) and thought the same thing as you did. I just bought a Hella fog light kit complete with wire, relays and switches and installed the lights in the stock position, under the bumper. You can buy the stock switch kit and use it for the inside and run one wore through the firewall to hook to the Hella relay, I think the stock switch kit costs over 60$, almost as much as the whole Hella kit. Good luck.

There are switches o-plenty at the pull-n-save. They have the nice fog light markings and are backlit with a jumper wire that you can get too. Oh and they pop right in to your dash.

Back