• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thoughts on building up an XJ - so many choices?

JT Spencer

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for an xj, probably 88-94 range . I am wondering what lift and tire size for the Rubicon trail, and a little more aggresive runs I would need. Also, on the whole axle thing, I am lost on Dana 30,35,44. What do xj's come with, and what will I need?

My Guess is 6" lift and 35's. Also, do I need long arm or would the standard 6" lift from Rusty's work? I will be using this as a trail rig for me and my wife + 2 girls. Yes the a/c must work!! Of course I am looking for a good starting point before I tackle the dif and gearing choices. I am hoping to not buy a lift and then realize I got the wrong one later. Aren't we all.. Thank for any tips.

JT Spencer

Last edited:
well, this is probably in the wrong area (oem), but I will throw my 2 cents in. 91 and up had an HO motor, more power. 93 and up had better u joints in the dana 30. 91 and up also had a chrysler 8 1/4 rear available. U want a 44 or 8 1/4 rear, not the 35. all cherokees came with dana 30's in the front. if you want 35's you'll have to regear. Many go with a 4.5" and 33's and that seams to work very well. I havent started my build up, but listen to what these guys say, and most will say keep it simple rember that it can be too high, and learn to drive the thing before you blow a ton of cash on it.

JT Spencer said:
I am looking for an xj, probably 88-94 range . I am wondering what lift and tire size for the Rubicon trail, and a little more aggresive runs I would need. Also, on the whole axle thing, I am lost on Dana 30,35,44. What do xj's come with, and what will I need?

My Guess is 6" lift and 35's. Also, do I need long arm or would the standard 6" lift from Rusty's work? I will be using this as a trail rig for me and my wife + 2 girls. Yes the a/c must work!! Of course I am looking for a good starting point before I tackle the dif and gearing choices. I am hoping to not buy a lift and then realize I got the wrong one later. Aren't we all.. Thank for any tips.

JT Spencer
wow, there are alot of variables there... to start with -
the year of the cherokee -
1989 - 20 gallon gas tank = standard
1991 - u joints in front axles (no CV)
1992 and late '91 odbII system with Check engine light that stores engine codes and the diagnostics machine can pull them w/o the light actually being on

for the rubicon trail - you can do all of it stock (with all the bypasses) so it all matters as to how deep you want to get into.

MOST cherokee's came with the Dana 30 front axle and Dana 35 Rear axle
some have the chrysler 8.8 rear and some (rare as hell) had the D44 rear axel. Many posts as to how to tell the difference... (search)

for a 6" lift long arms are the way to go (look ad the Lower control arms [lca's]) on cherokee's and notice how short they are. a long arm allows for much more flex and articulation (needed fro Rubicon, Fordyce...)
Long arms also make a much nicer ride on the road (as the angle of the LCA doesnt change as much as the short [stock] arm)

Rusty's - good company for partial lifts, however many people have had problems (search for "rustys" and see what people are saying about the company before you shell out a ton o money)

Im not sure as to your skill and time spent offroad and the like, but if you are brand new to the 4x4 sport, slap a 2" coil spacer in front and a 2" AAL in the back for a cheap budget lift and get some 31x10.5r15's and drive around, try stuff.
i think skid plates and skill outdo any lift and tire combobecause they build skill. wheeling is expensive (ask anyone who does it). and lifts only make you think u can do things that are trickyier (i cant spell) and break more expensive stuff. (like axles, T-cases, Oil Pans, hubs, radiators, and steering boxes)

if however you are still set on the lift and 35" tires, then seriously search and find what you need, starting points include:
SYE (slip yoke elminator)
Rims w/ less backspacing than stock
d44 swap (stock axles cant handle 35" tires off road)
4.88 gears (rock crawling becomes crawling)
fender triming and/or bumpstops
lockers (for rubicon,fordyce...
BUDGET - how much do you really want to spend on this?

there are a ton of posts covering all of these topics, look around before you decide on anything...

good luck with your Cherokee to be

Do yourself a favor and get a cherokee with the HO motor (91+ I believe). I wouldn't worry about your rear end, because swapping in a new one is fairly easy to do, however it can be pretty expensive.

There was a list somewhere around here and "con' requirements". It stated the minimun of what your rig should have in order for you to run the rubicon and have fun I suppose. It was put together by someone(s) who has experience with the rubicon.

On a side note...
I'm slowly building my cherokee to meet the con' requirements so that next spring/summer i'll be able to handle the rubicon, and challege myself I guess (Hollister gets boring sometimes).

Good luck. Where do you live anyway?

XJ_ranger said:
wow, there are alot of variables there... to start with -
the year of the cherokee -
1989 - 20 gallon gas tank = standard
1991 - u joints in front axles (no CV)
1992 and late '91 odbII system with Check engine light that stores engine codes and the diagnostics machine can pull them w/o the light actually being on

for the rubicon trail - you can do all of it stock (with all the bypasses) so it all matters as to how deep you want to get into.

MOST cherokee's came with the Dana 30 front axle and Dana 35 Rear axle
some have the chrysler 8.8 rear and some (rare as hell) had the D44 rear axel. Many posts as to how to tell the difference... (search)

for a 6" lift long arms are the way to go (look ad the Lower control arms [lca's]) on cherokee's and notice how short they are. a long arm allows for much more flex and articulation (needed fro Rubicon, Fordyce...)
Long arms also make a much nicer ride on the road (as the angle of the LCA doesnt change as much as the short [stock] arm)

Rusty's - good company for partial lifts, however many people have had problems (search for "rustys" and see what people are saying about the company before you shell out a ton o money)

Im not sure as to your skill and time spent offroad and the like, but if you are brand new to the 4x4 sport, slap a 2" coil spacer in front and a 2" AAL in the back for a cheap budget lift and get some 31x10.5r15's and drive around, try stuff.
i think skid plates and skill outdo any lift and tire combobecause they build skill. wheeling is expensive (ask anyone who does it). and lifts only make you think u can do things that are trickyier (i cant spell) and break more expensive stuff. (like axles, T-cases, Oil Pans, hubs, radiators, and steering boxes)

if however you are still set on the lift and 35" tires, then seriously search and find what you need, starting points include:
SYE (slip yoke elminator)
Rims w/ less backspacing than stock
d44 swap (stock axles cant handle 35" tires off road)
4.88 gears (rock crawling becomes crawling)
fender triming and/or bumpstops
lockers (for rubicon,fordyce...
BUDGET - how much do you really want to spend on this?

there are a ton of posts covering all of these topics, look around before you decide on anything...

good luck with your Cherokee to be
have you ever done the Rubicon in a stock XJ? Or at all? It would be VERY difficult or impossible, even with bypasses. And you better have the stock skids, tow-hooks, limited slip, etc.

Rusty's is crap with even worse customer service. I don't feel like a long-winded explanation now, but do a little searching here and you'll see what I mean.

JT Spencer, I'm not gonna hold your hand walking through a buildup, but just read on this board (in Mod Tech and Sierra Chapter) for a while and you'll figure it out. Look at what others run and do well with, and the search button is your friend.

Thanks for all the advice. I will plan on doing more searching here. It looks like 91 and up is a good start.

Jt spencer
lancaster, ca

I was on the Rubicon last weekend with only a 3.5" lift, 31's, couple of skids, rock rails and open front and rear. we only had to stack rocks one time. you just have to be careful and know what your vehicle and driver are capable of. by the way my wife did the driving.

IDF_Johnny said:
I was on the Rubicon last weekend with only a 3.5" lift, 31's, couple of skids, rock rails and open front and rear. we only had to stack rocks one time. you just have to be careful and know what your vehicle and driver are capable of. by the way my wife did the driving.

Nice, now that is an accomplishment you definately have bragging rights for doing the Con in almost stock form. I have 35" mtrs and dual locker with 7" lift and it is still challenging, but barely. :laugh:

IDF_Johnny said:
red XJ? i think me and Phil (Weeks) saw you a couple times. You guys were doing well, did you go all the way through?

recognize these 2?
P8080706.jpg

and welcome to NAXJA! be sure to check out the Sierra chapter board

Yep that was us, I thought I recognized your truck from your avitar and lurking around here. We stopped just shy of Spyder lake, it was taking way to long and the wife was getting restless. I'm glad it wasn't busy, I hate getting in peoples way.

BrettM said:

i will always envy anyone who is anywhere near close to this paradise!!! one of these days i will make it to the con!

There should be a sticky thread in the pic forum for rubicon pics!

sorry for the off-topic.

Dirk Pitt said:
i will always envy anyone who is anywhere near close to this paradise!!! one of these days i will make it to the con!

There should be a sticky thread in the pic forum for rubicon pics!

sorry for the off-topic.

Yeah, I moved from the Chicago burbs to be next to the Rubicon. You should do the same if you can. The weather is better, better scenery, etc. I've been in Indy a few times for work, it's not a bad place.
Nice pic you guys, hope to see you on the Fordyce trail tomorrow.

Back