• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turning lights wiring..

sivrt

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I live in Norway where the XJ`s don`t come with marking lights connected in the front turning lights. On the bulb socket, there is 3 inlets. Major, Minor and ground. Ground and major are connected. But I have moved the major wire to minor but still no marking light. Is there another place on the relay to connect a wire for the minor inlet?

What am I doing wrong?

I suspect that the bulb in the socket is a single fillament. For the combo turn signal and front marker you need a double filliament bulb. When you hooked up the major wire to the marker light did you turn on, the turn signal? If you did, it should have been blinking on the small fillament of the dual filament bulb (if installed). In the USA the dual fillament bulb is usually yellow coated (with a near clear turn signal/maker light lens).
They disconnect the front marker and moved it to a small bulb, in the H type headlight. Reason being, it´s not allowed, in Erope, to show a front yellow (or amber light) in most/many countries. Needs to be a white light.
Do you have the amber or the white, front turn signal lens?
An alternative is to move the turn signal to the vertical front side markers, (usually disconnected/with no bulb holder) and install a clear (white) turn signal (USA standardard) lens for the turn signal and wire it for a running light.
The vertical front marker, is actually too low a wattage for a turn signal, but have never had any problems, with inspections.
You´ll probably find many disconnected wires hanging, behind the headlight (and behind the vertical side marker), on the export model. You will probably need a good wiring diagram to figure them all out. But on all export XJ´s, that I have seen, the wires are already there, just cut a bit too short to hook up.

Last edited:
My bulb is a double filliament bulb. I have the H4 headlight bulb and my turn signal/marker lens is orange but with a clear double filliament bulb. You are right, it is not allowed with this type of marker lights here but I think it looks a lot better.. I had the US wiring on my last chevy truck and I had no problems with the cops or anything. On the marker light on the side of the fender though there was no hole for a bulb, they had just left it uncut with the inscription "for export only". But here I just drilled a hole and mounted a bulb holder and took the power from my parking light in the headlights. By the looks of it, the turning/marker light bulb holder is US standard.

On the wifes last XJ, just for something different. I made the vertical side markers, blink with the turn signal. The normal turn signal lens, I changed to USA standard clear (one was damaged anyway) and did like you did, with the vertical side marker and drilled another hole into the turn signal housing and installed another holder and clear bulb for a front white marker light and changed the normal turn signal bulb, to one that was colored yellow. Kind of a combination of export and USA, lighting scheme.
Always kind of enjoyed the confussed look, on the inspectors face, when he did a light test.

not quite shure what you guyes are doing here with the turn signels [hard for me to understand your grammer] but in the USA [97+] side marker lights flash which are on when the turn lights are not flashing] , the parking lights under the head lights flash and all the lenses are yellow, not clear. clear lenses are illegle over here unless they have amber tinted bulbs in them.

Back