• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 Swap disable ABS....Tried searching

BornAgainXJer

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting ready to swap my D35 for a D44 in my 95'. I want to disable to ABS system I have searched for this info and have not found anything mentioning 95's. So is it the same as disabling the ABS on a 92'? Can I just pull the fuse and relay and leave everything else alone?

all you need to do is mess one thing up with the ABS to disable it. At least with a 96. I ended up pulling the fuse, relay, and cutting the wires going to the brakes. I cut the wires just to clean stuff up a bit.

Has anyone had issues with the rear wheels locking up with leaving the old ABS system behind? Yeah I know electrically it won't function but their are still valves in their that can malfunction. Has anyone come across this?

Just remove the sensors and the light in the dash. It will all default to normal braking.

This is the way all post renix systems work (elect pump style). If something fails it must still have normal braking and that is the way all newer systems are.

Did this with my 95. I was going to convert it to non abs but it brakes just fine this way and I save a lot of work.

mark

Did this just a few mouths ago. Resherch showed me that you CAN just pull the fuse but you are better off getting the lines from a junk yard from a non ABS unit and pull the anti lock valve unit.

I pulled the fuse then started looking for parts, when I had them all together I did the swap and put the light back in, all's good.

Mark Hinkley said:
Just remove the sensors and the light in the dash. It will all default to normal braking.

This is the way all post renix systems work (elect pump style). If something fails it must still have normal braking and that is the way all newer systems are.

Did this with my 95. I was going to convert it to non abs but it brakes just fine this way and I save a lot of work.

mark
Is there a way to disable to light without having to pull the dash apart?

BornAgainXJer said:
Is there a way to disable to light without having to pull the dash apart?

I haven't found one yet.

You can try a piece of black tape over the light.

mark

BornAgainXJer said:
I am getting ready to swap my D35 for a D44 in my 95'. I want to disable to ABS system I have searched for this info and have not found anything mentioning 95's. So is it the same as disabling the ABS on a 92'? Can I just pull the fuse and relay and leave everything else alone?

I just did the samething to my 94 XJ when I install the Dana 44, I just cut the sensor line by the frame rail or where they go into the unibody. I then took the light off yes you do have to take the cluster apart to remove the light sorry. breaks work fine.

Jeep_w_new_MTRs_004.sized.jpg

Jeep_w_new_MTRs_003.sized.jpg

Good luck with the install.

I've heard that if you pull the fuse from the fuse box inside and then go under the hood and do the same thing there that the light will go out. That's 2nd hand info, but something that I filed away since I've got a Dana 44 that I'm going to put under the rear end of mine and until I can completely re-plumb it I was looking for a good temporary solution. At any rate it's worth a try.

Robert

Ok, so I looked in the fuse box under the hood on the passenger side and there are like 2 relays and 2 fuses. One relay says ABS System the other says ABS Pump, One fuse says ABS System and the other says ABS Pump. I am guessing that I would remove the ABS System fuse and leave all the others in place. What about the "computer" under the back seat? Do i want to remove that also?

BornAgainXJer said:
Ok, so I looked in the fuse box under the hood on the passenger side and there are like 2 relays and 2 fuses. One relay says ABS System the other says ABS Pump, One fuse says ABS System and the other says ABS Pump. I am guessing that I would remove the ABS System fuse and leave all the others in place. What about the "computer" under the back seat? Do i want to remove that also?

I removed every single fuse/relay that said ABS on it. No problems for a solid 5 months. I never touched the computer under the back seat.... :huh:

Invest in some tape to cover the ABS light......:D

i have a 90 xj limited and also have the abs system but the electric pump failed and to get a replacement is abount 400 so idecide to converted to the booster system and also have the ligth problem i disconect all fuses and didnt worked so just decided to take the computer under the seat out and the ligth went off and solve the problem also disconected the module that is under the master cilinder

I believe you have a differnt ABS system then I do, but thanks for the input

herreraxto said:
i have a 90 xj limited and also have the abs system but the electric pump failed and to get a replacement is abount 400 so idecide to converted to the booster system and also have the ligth problem i disconect all fuses and didnt worked so just decided to take the computer under the seat out and the ligth went off and solve the problem also disconected the module that is under the master cilinder
Anyone else ever remove their computer?

Back