• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear main seal

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
man, what a nasty dirty PITA job! Although I have to say that having a semi tall lift made it nice and easy to slide that pan in and out (I hate to think what it'd be like on a stocker :D)

Anyways if anyones' thinking about it... give me a holler while I got the details fresh in my mind :)

On the latter models, there is a main Bearing Bolt bolt brace that strethens all the Main Bearing Caps togethere, this has to come off to get the rear Main Bearing cap and seal.
Be carefull tightening these as i broke two with my 3/8" drive ratchet
45 psi is sufficent. It only holds the brace on, has nothing to do with Main Bearing clearence.
Cruisin_XJ

Kejtar said:
man, what a nasty dirty PITA job! Although I have to say that having a semi tall lift made it nice and easy to slide that pan in and out (I hate to think what it'd be like on a stocker :D)

Anyways if anyones' thinking about it... give me a holler while I got the details fresh in my mind :)

I need to do my 1997 XJ. I bought the parts from the dealer already. I got a new oil pan gasket (light blue) and the main seal. The main seal is 2 pieces of 1/2 round, brown rubbery/plastic.

Is there any secret to installing the main seal? I have never done this before and the dealer said it wasn't too hard. He did mention a couple of dabs of RTV though.

Please let me know any tips as I will be doing mine in the next week or two.

Thanks,
Jeff-97XJ

What I learned while battling my rear main seal leak:

-two piece rear main seals may suck, but at least I don't have to remove the trans like I would for the 1 piece design that the 2.5L has.

-be certain to add silicone *everywhere* the manual says and make sure you add plenty (but not so much that you get it where it shouldn't be)

-When the Haynes manual directs you to an earlier chapter for oil pump installation, don't start believing that the 4.0L has a gasket for it like the drawing shows. That's a 2.5L thing. (maybe. I can't verify that cause I don't have one)

-If you injure the upper half of the rear main seal in ANY way, stop yourself right there and go buy another! (If I had to do this again, I'd buy two from the start and then return the other if the first one works) Between my lift (and probably the Ford suspension parts), I can drop the pan without jacking up the truck or unbolting anything but the starter. If your truck is stock-ish, doing it right the first time is of the utmost importance!!! I can't imagine having to disassemble my suspension each time I tried something new.

-just because it doesn't leak while sitting there idling, doesn't mean it won't spew oil like the Exxon Valdez when you hit the pavement and put a load on the engine. Go test drive it now rather than when you go to work the next day!

-If you are fighting a rear main leak rather than just a leaky oil pan, I advise you to use either a cork or the one piece rubber oil pan gaskets. You do NOT want to scrape RTV off the engine more times than you absolutely have to. If you use a cork gasket, I'd recommend using a small bead of silicone to adhere it to the oil pan (smoosh it down good and let it cure before attepting to re-install the pan). This way the gasket peices will stay on the oil pan during installation (and removal and installation and removal and installation and... well, you get the idea. I dropped the pan 4 times but only had to clean the mating surfaces once. )

-full goggles are waaaay better than safety glasses when staring up at a dirty, oily, rusty engine bay. Ear plugs and a must too (you don't want any rust or grime falling in there), and I heard keeping your mouth closed is definitely a plus.

-Let your engine sit for as long as you possibly can before removing the oil pan. Oil will slowly drip out of the engine for hours after it last ran. Overnight would be good, but you'll still have a few drips (hence the goggles) Laying some cardboard down under the engine is a good way to catch and absorb the inevitable drips.

-Old gasket removal: Whatever was used previously for the oil pan gasket had hardened itself to my engine block. I started with a rectangle razor, then moved to a *narrow* chisel (like 1/4" wide), then whipped out the air grinder with those brillo-lookin' pads. The pads clog fast, so first scape off everything you can before using them. I used a small piece of cardboard to deflect the spinning crap from my engine innards. Other methods most certainly exist, but that's what I had on hand and it worked for me.

-Having a fan blow a gentle breeze on you while you're under the truck is a definite plus in my book! :) When you sweat, little bits of "stuff" falling off your truck start *adhering* to your face instead of bouncing off.

-A rolling cart is nice for lying on and getting around at all those bolts, but a large piece of cardboard raided from the local recycling drop-off center works too. Just make sure that you're not lying on the cardboard that's absorbing the oil droplets.

-Don't be like me and paint your oil pan gloss black! It's *impossible* to tell where any oil trails are coming from.

-And my favorite one of all: There are lots of ways people might suggest for lubing up the upper half of the rear main seal for insertion, but I think I found the best. I used my grease gun to absolutely fill the upper chamber and then added a bit of grease on the seal itself just for good measure. It was sooooo much easier than only smearing the seal with grease or vasoline or oil and then trying to dab a bit up in the hole with your finger.

I dropped the pan 4 times before I finally vanquished the evil rear-main-leak monster, but in the end *I WON*!! :D Woo-hoo! I can drive my truck again! (It had quickly degraded to where I was losing a quart every 20 miles or so)
Jeep on!
--Pete

Last edited:
Jeff-97XJ said:
I need to do my 1997 XJ. I bought the parts from the dealer already. I got a new oil pan gasket (light blue) and the main seal. The main seal is 2 pieces of 1/2 round, brown rubbery/plastic.

Is there any secret to installing the main seal? I have never done this before and the dealer said it wasn't too hard. He did mention a couple of dabs of RTV though.

Thanks,
Jeff-97XJ
make sure the upper half of the seal faces the right direction or it will leak.

Jeff-97XJ said:

Thanks,
Jeff-97XJ
I just did mine on the 97 motor and it didn't take long. Big question is how tall is your lift? if it's not too tall, try jacking up your front end to the point that the wheels still stay on the ground but your body is as hight as possible from the ground. If you're lucky enough all you'll have to unbolt is the starter. Now with the 97 I think you got the rubber gasket in there so the oil pan removal should be somewhat easy. Oh... big thing: don't forget to drain the oil. Anyways once you got the oil pan unbolted and loose wiggle it out towards the back. Then remove the bearing cap brace (you have to get the WHOLE THING off :( ). Once that's done, remove the bearing cap and if it doesn't come off tap it with a rubber mallet gently or something and it should pop right off (make sure it doesn't nail you sware in the face or something though). Anyways pull the bottom piece out and clean out the "channel" in which it sits (I had pieces of the old one glue themselves to it). Once you do that, take a deep breath, get a brass punch (or something similar) that's slightly smaller then the hole in which the upper part is in. Look were the guide wire is at and concentrate on hitting that. Once the other one has enough out that you can grab it, get a good grip (I used vice grips) and pull on it (pull evenly and do not jerk it) and it should come right out. Once it's out, make sure to use a little bit of soap on the new one so that it can smoothly slide in. Once it's in, make sure that it's even on both sides. Then install the lower one and bolt things up. I recommend using a torque wrench so that you get them bolts tight but not too tight (let me know if you need torque specs), bolt up the brace and then the fun begins. lay the new gaske on the pan and you'll notice that some holes are slightly tighter then others. That is actually good cause what you want to do is take couple of the bolts and push them through the pan holes into the gasket holes so that they keep the gasket from moving where it's supposed to be. Then bolt things up and off you go. One thing you might want to consider if you got a tight fit for the pan is to slide the pan in and then install the gasket as it's under the motor but not bolted up yet.

Back