• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to jump OEM fog lights, '89 xj

JGXJ

NAXJA Forum User
How do you jump OEM bumper fog lights (I replaced w/ Hella driving lights) so they don't cut out when you hit the high beams on the headlights. What wire do I pull and from where? '89 xj, auto, 4.0

I just cut the source power wire (don't know which one it is offhand, get a hot light and trace it) that comes from the headlight switch, put some more wire on it, and ran it to the fuse box to a constant power spot. There's some extra holes in there that you can slip a simple spade type crimp-on connector to. There's spots for accessory power (hot only when in ON or ACCY, nothing when in OFF or START) or constant, which ever way you want to go. Don't wrory too much, the lights are powered by a relay, not the switch.

Sequoia

Do you think that this would also be true for the 99XJ? My factory fogs cut off when I hit the high beams too, and I'd like to install a light bar to that switch.

Can the relay support the extra lights, I'm thinking 4 - 55watt lights on the front of my yakima rack?

I'm 90% positive that it's the same with the later models. As for the extra lights, you might find the relay (not sure if it's in the same location on later models) and splice another relay onto it (just splice another wire into the switch wire, throw that to the other relay, bring ground over, and new 10g power from the battery, PUT A FUSE ON THAT 10G THOUGH, I burnt the hell out of my hand once with a 10g non-fused wire, it was either my hand or the XJ, I chose my hand :))

Check the vehicle inspection laws where you live before you do this.....some states (like VA where I am) only allow 4 forward facing light elements to burn at the same time. I wired some aftermarket driving lights to my MJ off a toggle switch to run independant of the headlights, but the inspection shop made me disco them because they didn't turn off when the high beams were activated. YMMV.
HTH,
Jeff

Back