• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

have any of you used a 3mm wheel spacer?

kmagnuss_2000

NAXJA Forum User
I just put some 32x11.50's on some gambler wheels, and the leaf srping clamps (from the blazer zr2 donation) are very very close to my tires. Like, piece of paper close. I can see light in between the clamp and the tire, but barely. So I was thinking of putting on a 3mm spacer. It's aluminum. Is this a good or bad idea? Thanks.

-Keith

Bad on so many levels. Either get new wheels, or get wheel spacers that attach to the existing studs and also have studs coming off them, like the ones Spidertrax and MORE sell.

i've known people that have used thin spacers with no problems, some people on the board here too. personally I would do it and just be sure to check the thread engagement on the lugs and check the torque a few times in the first couple hundred miles.

kmagnuss_2000 said:
I just put some 32x11.50's on some gambler wheels, and the leaf srping clamps (from the blazer zr2 donation) are very very close to my tires. Like, piece of paper close. I can see light in between the clamp and the tire, but barely. So I was thinking of putting on a 3mm spacer. It's aluminum. Is this a good or bad idea? Thanks.

-Keith

Why not just go get some steel wheels with backspaceing ? You should be able to get a generic set for about $125.00...Quadratec had some steel craigers for about $30.00 a piece.

BrettM said:
i've known people that have used thin spacers with no problems, some people on the board here too. personally I would do it and just be sure to check the thread engagement on the lugs and check the torque a few times in the first couple hundred miles.

I work in the tire business, and I've seen those crappy aluminum spacers more often than I'd like to say. They're garbage, I've seen them crack, and I've seen people come in with the lug nuts on only 3-4 wheel stud threads holding their wheel on. I guess if you're using a non-aluminum spacer, and longer wheel studs, they're "alright", but why half ass it? If his wheels are that close to his springs, he needs wheels with more backspacing, if I'm not mistaken 4.5" is the lucky number for us XJers right? Might as well get the proper wheels or a nice set of spacers and call it a day.

SyCo said:
if I'm not mistaken 4.5" is the lucky number for us XJers right?

I must have missed that memo, I thought 2.5 was the magic number :laugh3:

P8070684.jpg

Back