• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

regear question

lankchevy

NAXJA Forum User
okay im about to do a 8.8 swap. right now my jeep has 3.55s and 33s. my delimma is i have two choices when i do the axle swap. i can find one with 3.55s and not jack with gears yet, or i can find one with 4.10s and then try to find a carrier and gears from a xj or yj with 4.10s. then i have to set up the gears (girlfriends dad and my uncle both know how so thats no to big of a deal) anyway im gonna try to call around and see if i can find some gears what all comes with a hi pinion 30 front that will work?

kolby

well i would just take the gears and carrier out of a yj axle if i did that. and would it be a problem if i found a tj 30 with a low pinion, if i swaped complete axles? or should i stick with my hi pionion vac disconnect? what all models came with 297 joints? and with a high pinion and 297 joints from the factory? maybe i could make a deal with a salavage , there axle for my axle and cash. tjs have the same brackets as xjs right?

kolby

You might want to drive an XJ with 33's and 4.11's on the trail first and see how you like it. Cause if you have someone who can setup gears for you you might as well do it right the first time around and get either 4.56's or 4.88's.
On the other hand you can hunt for a 4.11'd front axle and regear later.
lankchevy said:
okay im about to do a 8.8 swap. right now my jeep has 3.55s and 33s. my delimma is i have two choices when i do the axle swap. i can find one with 3.55s and not jack with gears yet, or i can find one with 4.10s and then try to find a carrier and gears from a xj or yj with 4.10s. then i have to set up the gears (girlfriends dad and my uncle both know how so thats no to big of a deal) anyway im gonna try to call around and see if i can find some gears what all comes with a hi pinion 30 front that will work?

kolby

well if i can get used 4.10s for $50 and i get a 8.8 with 4.10s then i figure its only gonna cost a $40 install kit for the front. im on a very tight budget right now as im only 17 and school is gettting ready to start back up which means ill be on an even tighter budget. so i think ill do the 4.10s now, then if i dont like it then ill go 4.56s or 4.88s around christmas time or next summer. so to sum it up i can only afford to A) get a 8.8 with 3.55s and live with it till i can afford new front and rear carriers and gears or B) get a 8.8 with 4.10s and get a used carrier and 4.10s for the front. then if i want to go deeper later then i already have the right carriers.

kolby

okay i found a place in tulsa with a disco 30 with 4.10s complete minus shafts for a good price so i think im gonna get it and use the shafts from my current axle in it. then get a 8.8 with 4.10s. maybe i will regear at christmas, only time will tell.

kolby

lankchevy said:
well if i can get used 4.10s for $50 and i get a 8.8 with 4.10s then i figure its only gonna cost a $40 install kit for the front. im on a very tight budget right now as im only 17 and school is gettting ready to start back up which means ill be on an even tighter budget. so i think ill do the 4.10s now, then if i dont like it then ill go 4.56s or 4.88s around christmas time or next summer. so to sum it up i can only afford to A) get a 8.8 with 3.55s and live with it till i can afford new front and rear carriers and gears or B) get a 8.8 with 4.10s and get a used carrier and 4.10s for the front. then if i want to go deeper later then i already have the right carriers.

kolby
Do you already have the 33's? If not, get some 31's instead. Run those until you are ready to do the whole thing. You'd be surprised what you can do with 31's.

ya i already have the 33s on the jeep. ive been driving it like this for about 3 months now. i dont think that the 3.55s are that bad but then i also havent driven one like mine that had lower gears either.

kolby

I've done lots of reserch on this. Here's my opinion on how to maintain stock RPM and torque. 3:55' for tires under 30", 4:10's for tires 31-33", and 4:56's for tires bigger than that... if and only if you want a DD that has engine manners on the highway. If you want a trail vehicle, go 4:88's with any tire size you like, it feels like your in 4Low all the time (cool for the trail, not for the highway). Just my opinion.

john mitchell said:
I've done lots of reserch on this. Here's my opinion on how to maintain stock RPM and torque. 3:55' for tires under 30", 4:10's for tires 31-33", and 4:56's for tires bigger than that... if and only if you want a DD that has engine manners on the highway. If you want a trail vehicle, go 4:88's with any tire size you like, it feels like your in 4Low all the time (cool for the trail, not for the highway). Just my opinion.

your research is flawed.

we're not trying to maintain stock configs, its no longer stock.

john mitchell said:
Beezil said:
your research is flawed.

we're not trying to maintain stock configs, its no longer stock.
I'm with Beezil on that one. Not only the vehicles are raised thus offering more air resistance but also vehicles are heavier the tires are heavier and have more surface area and there is more friction, so all the charts and calculations are good for is just a starting point.
BTw, before I upgraded the tires on my 98 twice I had taller gears then normal:
1. 235's with 4.11's
2. 31's with 4.88's
Both times the combination wasn't bad, mpg was pretty good and the power was awesome. Now keep in mind that I do drive over 120 to and from work.

hmm maybe i should add i normaly only drive about 15-30 miles a day. less in the summer cause i work at the same place as my dad and ride with him. it didnt get driven at all today. still not sure on what im gonna do tho.

kolby

Back