• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust leak?

Ludakris

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys. I fired up my 89' last night for the first time since buying it. It needed a tranny line, a belt, and a new alt pulley. I have the 4.0l and it sounds good, has a stumble but I figure a tune up will cure that. My question is about an exhaust leak. there was a light smoke coming up from the intake area. I am thinking its an exhaust leak from the manifold, is this the symptoms of a cracked manifold? like i said it sounded fine, no ticking or anything like normally associated with an exhaust leak. Anyone else have this problem?

If youre manifold is cracked like a lot of older 4.0s are it should be loud. My Jeep has run with a cracked manifold for 5 years and I've never seen white smoke but I suppose if there is actually a hole in yours that could happen. Those are my thoughts.
Collin

have u touched the manifold when ur hands were greasy since the last time u started it? maybe its just some oil getting burnt off of it?

kolby

We have two different jeeps with cracked manifolds (I thought all 4.0's had cracked manifolds LOL), I've never noticed any smoke from either and the noise is quite noticeable.

Back