• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch Questions?

KGNickl

NAXJA Forum User
I know bigger winch questions have been addressed but what if I have a 3000lb ATV winch that will fit w/ a welded in bracket behind the bumper and look very nice on my cherokee and not cost me anything how will that winch hold up to winching? will it just be slow? motor burn out? break? etc.... Wanna hear some feedback cause I want a winch but have a free ATV winch and only get stuck maybe 1-2 times a year in nothing serious just some slight mud. Suggestions? Warning? Bashings.... etc..... Say it all as long as its fact and your know. Dont' say assumptions, just experience and facts.

Last edited:
Take your vehicle gross weight and multiply it by 1.5, and use that as a minimum requirement. I have seen winch motors do all kinds of things when overloaded. Some won't budge and just make nasty groans, some shutoff for safety, some burn out while you watch. Regardless, I would sell the free winch and put the $$ towards the real deal. If you wouldn't trust the life of yourself and others around you to it, don't use it.

-Rich

PS/EDIT- If there is a cutoff (or 2) it will likely be due to overload, and will not allow the winch to run for a short while (from a few seconds to a little more). Repeatedly tripping these circuits will induce a thermal overload (which most winches for sure do have), which shuts it down until motor temp drops.

Last edited:
I was contemplating a Warn M5000 and decided to call them.

They recommended an 8000 lb winch minimum for the XJ

considering gross stock weight is around 3k all you would do is burn it up. i second selling it and putting it towards a better winch

Sell it and put the money towards a 8Klbs min. The last thing you wnat is a winch not doing its job when it needed. A 3Klbs is just a false sense of security.

A 3k wich would be like bailing a boat with a Dixie cup.

Mike

It will get you on a trailer after the Jeep is broke!

8K or 9K winch for real use.

Beer and winching shouldn't be mixed.

hinkley

Well I have 2500lb Warn for sale if anyone interested.......it is almost $300 NEW i'LL SELL FOR $200...AND it is brand new in the box!!

I have often thought about how to do a winch on the cheap. Thought about snatch blocks and a couple hundred feet of cable, but that 'might' come close to doubling the rating. You need more than that here - this is good for dragging firewood or dead critters or ATVs, but not a XJ.

Back