• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Damage Assesment......... lots of pictures!

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
The victim is my 1990 Jeep XJ with an ARB front bumper.

Went to a lake to do some minor wheeling. Ended up trying to cut a small corner, but driving into the lake (maybe 2 feet off shore). Well the mud was a lot softer than I had expected, and before I knew it, the stock height jeep was sunk to its doors in mud. Mud even leaked into the rear cargo area. You could not see the rear tires.

It took over two hours to pull me out. A lifted F250 power stroke did most of the work. What finally got me out were the F250 and an F150 pulling at the same time. Lots of digging was done, and luckily I had brought a shovel. Although a lot was done by hand.

The ARB bumper stood up to 10 or 12 jerks from the F250 before it started to show damage. The Fords rear bumper was starting to rip off, so he turned around and used the front tow hooks.

The chain hooks broke three different times, one of which swung back and whipped around the A pillar into the door. Luckily it didn't hit higher or I would have gotten hit. You'll see a picture of the trail the chain left.

In the process of about 10 more pulling attempts, the passenger side tow hook on my ARB bumper snapped entirely in half, as you'll see in the picture. After this happened, the dumb ass who went and rehooked the chain, tied it around my winch mount. You'll see the damage in the pics here too.

The bumper is now severely tweaked, and I'd say it is a total loss. Don't suppose ARB has an unconditional lifetime warranty, huh?

The rear bumper end cap was bent out due to the large amount of mud, which it plowed into.

The Jeep idled for over two hours, muffler under water, while we were getting it out. It didn't over heat one bit, and now runs like nothing even happened. I sure am glad I made a rubber shield under the engine bay to protect the alternator and other parts. Worked great keeping mud out from in there.

Here are the pics.

http://home.comcast.net/~cbrons1/jeeppics.htm

man... that is a lot of abuse your ARB took, at least that took the damage instead of your Jeep. Can you tell us what rubber material you made for your engine? Mine just tore off last week going through a mud puddle and ripped it in half.

BTW, show some inside pix, where the mud came in.
:viking:

The mud came in through the rear passanger side corner of the hatch. It spread about five inches into the Jeep. Not much to show other than dirty carpet. Mud was also swept into the vehicle from the doors pushing it in, when I got in and out.

For the rubber piece I went to Napa and bought a mud flap for a semi truck. They're about $10. I only ended up using a little over half of it, but I cut it to fit under the engine bay. Then I drilled lots of holes in it, and zip tied it to pre drilled holes around the unibody. There are lots of places to secure zip ties under there. It works great!!

90Pioneer said:
The chain hooks broke three different times, one of which swung back and whipped around the A pillar into the door. Luckily it didn't hit higher or I would have gotten hit. You'll see a picture of the trail the chain left.

I'm sorry to hear about the damage, but this is just plain stupid to be using chains, even if it was all you had handy. And if you had hooks in the D-ring holes of the ARB, that's why they got destroyed. Unconditional warranty would still be a stretch to warranty this.

This is a prime example of why not to use a chain to tow. If it needs a jerk shit is just going to get torn up. Your probably lucky the bumper broke. I don't think much more than that (especially from a full size towing) and it would have just ripped the unibody apart. You should check for cracks in around the mounting points of the bumper too.

I'll take you "unconditional" comment as a joke without smileys. :D

Lincoln said:
This is a prime example of why not to use a chain to tow. If it needs a jerk shit is just going to get torn up. Your probably lucky the bumper broke. I don't think much more than that (especially from a full size towing) and it would have just ripped the unibody apart. You should check for cracks in around the mounting points of the bumper too.

I'll take you "unconditional" comment as a joke without smileys. :D

Yes, I would never expect ARB to give me a new bumper I'm impressed it held as well as it did. I was over 20 miles from anything, and my phone didn't work either. Didn't have much of a choice.

90Pioneer said:
Yes, I would never expect ARB to give me a new bumper I'm impressed it held as well as it did. I was over 20 miles from anything, and my phone didn't work either. Didn't have much of a choice.

Been there and seen it happen. That's when it's nice for people to leave trash out. I've used two chains with a tire between them before to give it a little give. I haven't been caught without my hilift and strap for a long time. Forgot the shovel a few times but never the strap.

Good luck getting it patched back up. You might be able to replace the damaged areas or have a shop do it if the main structure isn't bent up too bad.

See if you can send in your bumper to arb to have damage assesment done and to show them their stuff can hold up to abuse and to see if there are any places they can improve the design...never know they might pro rate ya one so they can study the other one???
good luck
themud

When you get a new bumper buy a winch for it.

Also go buy recovery equipment now and put it in the jeep it won't be a waste of money. If you had it you would still have a nice looking bumper and door.

hinkley

not trying to start a fued, but I have heard horror stories about ARB's crumbling under pressure. A land rover friend was pulling a Range Rover out that had an ARB, it wasnt a tough recovery, but the bumper looked like hell when it was over. No comment on the chains, you lucky to be alive after that snap, its a good thing the side of the jeep caught it. Buy a strap, then buy another one. If you need to be pulled out, or you want to help someone else out, make sure you have all the safe equipment.

I would buy another ARB in second. It held up for quite a while, and that was a LOT of abuse it took. The F250s bumper showed pull damage before my ARB did.

Back