• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting ready to regear. Some questions

MoFo

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I am getting ready to build the old '87 for the trail. It has a rear D44 and everything is stock. I think the biggest tires I will run would be 33, but I plan to put 32s on it for now.

I plan to install a Detroit in the back and an ARB in the front, since I need to change the carriers anyway. I need to be able to drive this thing on the highway from upstate NY to Moab. Would 4.10 be a good choice of ratios, or do I need 4.56?

Where is the best price to buy the gears, Detroit, ARB and install kits? I am looking mainly for price, but customer service is important too.

Should I pull the axles out of the body to install the gears?

TIA

MoFo said:
I am getting ready to build the old '87 for the trail. It has a rear D44 and everything is stock. I think the biggest tires I will run would be 33, but I plan to put 32s on it for now.

I plan to install a Detroit in the back and an ARB in the front, since I need to change the carriers anyway. I need to be able to drive this thing on the highway from upstate NY to Moab. Would 4.10 be a good choice of ratios, or do I need 4.56?

Where is the best price to buy the gears, Detroit, ARB and install kits? I am looking mainly for price, but customer service is important too.

TIA

RawBrown, in CA, but he has treated me very well. Very good prices.

I recomend 4.56 or even 4.88's, Rawbrown won't steer you wrong.

As far as install, It can be done on the jeep, but your working on your back.

If you pull them, you can do more than just gears. Such as: weld some LCA Armor, change out upper control arem bushings. One thing I do like about leaving it on the jeep is that the axle doesn't move, as long as you jeep does not fall down on you while you prying out the carrier.

MoFo said:

TIA

I assume we are talking about a 4.0 with auto?? I would use 4.56's over 4.10's.

I bought mine from Randy's Ring and Pinion. I was happy with the price/service, but they are local to me and that was the determining factor for me. Others will have more helpfull info.

No need to pull the axles out of the body to install, just jack it up so that it is comfortable to sit and work on each of the axles safely.

Michael

Well I run 32's w/ 4:11's w/ a 5 speed. It's good, but 4.56 would be better. I would go a full detroit in the front, simplicity is always better on the trail, less failure points, & you won't notice on the street, because it will be coasting, not under power. You might get some ratchet noise, but it won't unload, because there is no power loaded on it. You don't need to pull the axel housings to change the gears, you can do it under the truck. $.02

Good luck
Rob P

Yes it is a 4.0 with an AW4. sorry I left that out.

Where would I find jackstands to set the Jeep high enough to sit under the Jeep?

I’ve done a lot of research on this, and I have figured out 4:10 are good for street/ trail use for tires up to 31” after that 4:56 is better, but highway rpm will be just a tad high while running those 32”s. IMHO get the 4:56’s cause you stated that you were building a trail rig. Plus you’ll find (like most here) you are going to want BIGGER tires…more lift….and so on. Get the 4:56, and suffer the Highway a little now, get the big tires and yer done.

Just my Opinion

Back