• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Spews fluid....

VET'S XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I need some help in diagnosing the problem with my trans. While driving in the mountains after a while of constant uphill my transmission will spew fluid out the blow hole in the top. It burns on my exhaust and smokes out the back of the Jeep. I cannot figure out why. Engine temps during this event is never over 215. Has only happened 4 times. I have a 95 with the AW4, 4.5 inches of lift and 33's(stock gears)....but this has happened before I when I only had 31's. Anyone know what is going on. I had a trans place look at it, and said there is nothing wrong just some pressure in the case from shifting in and out of overdrive.

Any help would be great...Thanks

Vet

Anyone have any ideas? :idea:

My guess is that you are stressing the trans by
1- stock 3.55s with 31,or 33s
2-Up hill in OVERdrive ?
3- No tranny cooler or small stock unit
4- Old fluid
If mine ever ran 215* on a long up hill pull I would be very happy as it runs 210 on a flat.
Now re-gear to at least 4.56 and keep the trans out of overdrive on the hills.
Wayne

Have you changed your tranny fluid lately? If it was overfilled, it would spew the excess fluid out under conditions such as those mentioned.

I agree with Wayne, it's the heat that's spewing the fluid out because of the items he mentioned. The fluid is actually boiling in some parts of the trans, and then it spews out wherever it can. My suggestion would be to add the biggest trans cooler possible, and install an extra heat shield between the catalytic converter and the transmission. I would also change the fluid, since it's probably degraded from the heat.

Back