• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally 14 glorious volts! quick fix too!

Beached Bones

NAXJA Forum User
Since I purchased my 92 XJ about a year and a half ago, it has always run with the dash voltometer reading about 10 volts. Of course the battery was at 14V which led to my frustration. What good is a voltometer if it doesn't tell you what the REAL voltage is? I checked on NAXJA and the info I found said it was something you pretty much just had to live with, with some side information that if you babied every ground connection in the vehicle, you MIGHT see an improvement.

So what the heck, I upgraded or twinned a good number of battery cables, grounds ect with wire from 4 guage to 1 guage. It's probably worthwhile to do so anyway. In the driver's seat I saw maybe 0.5 Volts higher. Damn no such luck... So I figured forget this nonsence, and went strait to the instrument cluster, pulled it out and cleaned the contacts, then I noticed that right in the printed circuit, behind the voltometer were small screws nicely labled GRD and IGN. ground and ignition eh? so i looked for a good place to tie into, low and behold a couple inches away from the voltometer is the cigarette lighter. I read on this board a while back that someone with the same low voltage prob had tested their lighter and found it had a much higher voltage than their dash. So I grabbed some old twin wire and a couple crimp connnectors and connected them together. Voila! 14V now reading on the dash.

Happy dance!

Back