• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More craking issues(and other junk).

Jes

NAXJA Memeber #293 URF Racing
NAXJA Member
I had noticed at the end of last year that my passenger side door no longer closed correctly and the tops of my A pillars were starting to crack. Thus I installed a cage to hopefully alleviate some of the future cracking that would occur. While I think I have cured the cracking that was happening around the rear hatch it looks like I'm going to have to add more tube to the nose. Just looked the other day and the cracks at the A pillar have grown and there's some new ones too(I assume since they aren't rusty).
Here's the first crack...
picture.JPG

...the rusted part is old and goes out side to the roof at the rain gutter. The spot below it to the left is new and the driver's side is doing the exact same thing although not as severe.
Here's the base of the A pillar where it ties to the fire wall...
picture.JPG

...hard to see but the cack starts at about 10:00 from the torx bolt, runs up to the right, and then goes forward. I can't really see where it ends so I'll have to remove the fender to check out what's happening. Looks like I'll have to initiate phaseII of the cage build up sooner rather than later. :rolleyes:

Jes

Re: More craking issues.

Just get the sawzall and have at it.

It will solve all your cracking problems!

:D

At least it is not around the steering box! :D

hinkley

It catches up with you sooner or later....... :D

I've welded up cracks in exactly the same places, multiple times in both, before installing the cage. It's hard to do, but the whole thing needs to be stiff or the weak point just takes more abuse. Even with my cage, I just welded up some cracks in the floor behind and underneath the back seat, and I have a very small crack starting on the lower part of my A pillar....even with the cage.

Fun........

Dealt with the bad one this weekend...
picture.JPG

...added some gussets(URF style) for the time being...
picture.JPG

During the revamp I also noticed some in the corners of the rear side window and also in the top left corner of the the PF door opening behind the bulb seal.

I also had the same crack underneath the rear seat, but I cut it all out and put a patch panel in due to rust from a leaking muffler.

Good ole URF, maybe they should step it up a notch and get some fancy metal cut out logos. I happen to know a guy in town with a CNC Plasma cutting machine in their garage. The guy even needs some practice :)

Last edited:

Ya, really, was mentioning the logo thing to Andy this weekend.
You know, URF also fixes RE junk. ;)
Look at my bent lower control arm...
picture.JPG

...the thing was on my Jeep for less than 4 years and hardly saw any trail time at all...
picture.JPG

...and BTW, that bushing is less than a year old.
...Look what we found when we cut it in half to sleeve it...
picture.JPG

...a little thin for use as lower control arm material don't ya think?
Not West Coast approved. (n)

Wow Jes! That's just plain ugly under the fender! :eek:

I bet there are others out there that have that cracking going on that don't know about it..... Good to know.

What year is your rig? I've heard that there were changes in the unibody somewhere around '90 - '91???? I wonder if these rigs have similar problems.

The '89 project I picked up has cracks in all the places Goatman has mentioned in his previous threads, but my '93 (current trail rig) doesn't have a single crack anywhere - not the pillars, door sills, rear hatch area - nuthin. I just added a cage and got to thinking about how it would affect the front of the unibody with out having it tied to the rest of the sturdier half.... Looking forward to seeing how you remedy this situation.

Heck, I suppose winch use aggravates the situation all the more... yikes.

Keep us posted!

Troy, my Jeep is a '93.
It's just the West Coast style that seems to destroy these things. ;)

Re: More ó{aking issuds(ann other0gunk).

When I told%you to stay off the crack I didn't mean to start making it. :D

Well, I just looked over my rig and sure enough, both sides are cracked above that Torx bolt behind the fender corners...... Damn.

I've gotta remove the front fenders anyway to address some clearance issues so I guess I'll be doing some fixin' of the cracking as well - looking forward to seeing what you come up with to stiffen up the front.

And my rig gets some hard 'wheeling in too - check out the "Independence" pics on the Colorado forum. Good stuff with me gettin' really nasty-stuck on the exit obstacle. That sucked.

Most people I know that run unibody jeeps have problems with the doors falling off. The door hinges crack, and tear loose from the door mount positions. Not the same thing, just some input.

Like this:

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Sorry to bring this back from 4 years, but how did this turn out?

More like 6 years but it did not turn out well...
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I honestly hardly ever wheeled it in the last six years.
Is it bad when you have rock rash on your dash?
standard.jpg

:dunno:

You're right, I was thinking from 04. Oops.

And DAMN, did the rocks break that free like that in the second to last pic, or did it just eventually happen? I have the same cracking issues, and I need to make my Jeep last another couple years. Any advice? I already had planned on plating and patching all the cracked areas, but what else could be done to further repair such damage?

Last edited:
Back