• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

44 front questions??

JamesXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am wanting to go with a 44 up front and just curious as to what 44's people are using on their XJ's? I dont want full width diffs, I am looking for one similar to the width of the D30. Does anyone know the diff WMS to WMS of of other dana 44's with drivers drop.

Thanks in Advance

Early Bronco width is just about perfect for XJs. Although the D44s from those vehicles arent that desirable. most are drum, Low pinion.
Late 70s F-150 HP D44s are a popular choice. cut them down, make sure the radius arm mounts arent cast. or the F-250 with Leaf spring perches.
Bolt pattern also has to be factored.
Waggy D44s are popular also, but will require mods too. They come 6 lug I believe.
Heres My F-150 D44, cut down to Bronco (XJ) size:
axle1.jpg

under.jpg

I bit the bullet and went with Sams Offroad D-44 front. Had it cut to 62 inches wide. (slightly wider). Cost alot but after doing my rear 44 only about a grand more than that effort and alot less of my time.

If you put one in, do go a bit wider, I could have actually went wider still. Adjusting the offset of the rear (spacers or rims) is not as big an issue as having weight outside the front bearing. and the wider the better when you start lifting the suspension.

Derik

JamesXJ said:
I am wanting to go with a 44 up front and just curious as to what 44's people are using on their XJ's? I dont want full width diffs, I am looking for one similar to the width of the D30. Does anyone know the diff WMS to WMS of of other dana 44's with drivers drop.

Thanks in Advance

Early Bronco or later model Waggy are the ones that will fit, but both are low pinion. If you want a high pinion you have to use one out of an early ('70's) F150 or light duty F250 and cut it down. The early Bronco will have a 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern and the Waggy is 6 lug.

Mine is from a '77 F150 cut down to '80+ Waggy size so I can use Waggy axles. It's 3/4" wider than stock XJ.

Back