• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NSS switch question

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
How does it work? If I don't have it will it start without it or do I have to jump wires for it to start? What does it look like so that I can locate which harness belonged to it?

Thanks

The NSS itself is kind of a flat, crescent-shaped plastic object attached to the passenger side of the transmission. Thare's a rather thick harness leading to it, surrounded by a plastic sheath. The switch controls other functions as well, so there's an 8-terminal connector. In its role as neutral safety switch it simply provides the ground path for the starter relay. The neutral-safety terminals on its connectors are (depending on which diagram you look at) C&B, or 7&6, the central pair on the side opposite the connector latch. The wires (at least on the 93 and 95 and its ilk) are brown/yellow for the wire to the starter relay, and black/tan for the wire to ground. I'm not sure if a 97 differs, but in the 91-96, you can bypass it at the engine end by jumping terminal 30 of the starter relay (forward-most relay in the relay center under the rectangular black cover on passenger side of engine compartment) to ground. You can stick a piece of stranded wire into the socket and then plug the relay in over it. If you're doing this on a regular basis, you might consider putting that wire in, then putting an insulated alligator clip on the other end so it can be disarmed easily. On manual models, terminal 30 goes straight to ground.

Kejtar said:
Cool, thanks! The aw4 equipped model just became an AX15 model and that's why I am asking :D

Yeah, you can jumper the wires so it'll always start. You'll also want to grab the wire for the backup lights and connect it to the ax15 backup light switch.

lawsoncl said:
Yeah, you can jumper the wires so it'll always start. You'll also want to grab the wire for the backup lights and connect it to the ax15 backup light switch.
Way to bring a 2 year old thread to life.....

Kejtar said:
But my jeep was sitting in the garage till just recently waiting for that one last answer ;)
too bad it doesn't always work (i tried to do it this mornin! HAH) no worky for me....

Back