• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

closer...closer...closer...

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Is anyone else ready to get the hell out of Dodge?? I'm sitting here at work :puke: and quickly sliding into vacation mode. Good thing I'm leaving Wed afternoon........only four days to go.

I've been humping it at work for over three weeks, and I'm finally relatively caught up. Home projects are done (for now) and I only have a couple of very minor things to do on the Jeep. I actually have my gear, other than food and clothes, already loaded in the Jeep.

I'm ready.......

Goatman said:
I actually have my gear, other than food and clothes, already loaded in the Jeep.

I'm ready.......

You're supposed to wait for that until leaving the driveway. Damn old people.

I'm pretty well ready except for loading. Going down to dad's tomorrow to pick up the trailer and then I'll be heading back Thursday evening. Driving down Friday.

Lincoln said:
You're supposed to wait for that until leaving the driveway. Damn old people.

I'm pretty well ready except for loading. Going down to dad's tomorrow to pick up the trailer and then I'll be heading back Thursday evening. Driving down Friday.

I'm way ahead of schedule.......I always do it the night before I leave. It's very unusual for me to be ahead of schedule with packing and getting the Jeep ready. I still need to figure out what clothes to take and what to plan on eating for a 9 day trip.

Goatman said:
I'm way ahead of schedule.......I always do it the night before I leave. It's very unusual for me to be ahead of schedule with packing and getting the Jeep ready. I still need to figure out what clothes to take and what to plan on eating for a 9 day trip.

How does food sound?

Even when I'm ahead of schedule I'm behind. I took Thursday off even though Kristen and I aren't leaving until after work just to get a headstart the last minute rush.

Well, I just got back from the cleanup we had at Spyder on Saturday. The weather was great and the trail is clean(for the most part anyway).
I'm ready for a week off of work but my Jeep is less ready. I have some nasty cracking issues at the tops and bottoms of my A pillars and where they attach to the fire wall. Also, my steering box is seeping fluid from where the sector shaft comes out and I got a driver's side axle shaft that looks like it'll break soon. So, I got a little bit of work to do this week.

Jes said:
Well, I just got back from the cleanup we had at Spyder on Saturday. The weather was great and the trail is clean(for the most part anyway).
I'm ready for a week off of work but my Jeep is less ready. I have some nasty cracking issues at the tops and bottoms of my A pillars and where they attach to the fire wall. Also, my steering box is seeping fluid from where the sector shaft comes out and I got a driver's side axle shaft that looks like it'll break soon. So, I got a little bit of work to do this week.

Nice......

:D

I wish I could leave now!
Packed up the jeep today. All the camping gear and clothes are packed. Nine days worth of clothing turned into one large bag. The Jeep seems stuffed already and I don't have any food in there yet. Five days with no ice will be hard on the cooler. I bought one of the 5 day coolers to try. Can't wait to go.

I still need to:
get and install my t-case skid
install my hitch
rig up a parking brake
get a first aid kit
look back at the tech requirements to make sure that's it

a cage would be nice after seeing a Toy that rolled off of Cadillac today

oh and maybe I'll try to buff out some of my new trail rash...or not.

David Taylor said:
I wish I could leave now!
Packed up the jeep today. All the camping gear and clothes are packed. Nine days worth of clothing turned into one large bag. The Jeep seems stuffed already and I don't have any food in there yet. Five days with no ice will be hard on the cooler. I bought one of the 5 day coolers to try. Can't wait to go.

Dave -
Try dry ice. I tried it out on the Swamp Lake run. Keeps things nice and COLD! Just don't get too much or else it might freeze your salami - just ask Scott. :D
Andy

Porch Puppy said:
Dave -
Try dry ice. I tried it out on the Swamp Lake run. Keeps things nice and COLD! Just don't get too much or else it might freeze your salami - just ask Scott. :D
Andy

Andy did you use it to keep everything cool? I was just thinking about a small cooler for the meats and things like that and another cooler with regular ice for the rest.

Andy had a large size cooler on the Swamp Lake run with 16lbs of dry ice on the bottom, and by the time we got to the lake on Friday everything in the cooler was frozen.....including the beer. :)

I'm going to try some this trip, and see how it goes. You need to keep the dry ice seperated from the food, or it will freeze whatever it touches. Try a towel or a layer of regular ice. And you don't need 16lbs.

I wanted to use it to keep some of the meat frozen until later in the week. 16lbs does sound a little excessive. :)

Won't the regular ice melt the dry ice faster if they touch?

We're going to have a ton of cooler room. I'm making dad haul my 80 quart. He's already trying to rig a drain so he doesn't have to move it or deal with sloshing water. :D

well, I am ready to wheel with my old friends (and by old, I mean you richard).

However, my SBC in my tow rig gave up the ghost last weekend on the way back from Fordyce last weekend. I have a new long block coming but it won/t be here in time. Looks like I will throw a brake controller onto marni's 5.9 and tow with that.

My heep performed flawlessly last weekend. It's still ugly and I haven't painted the cage or installed most of the interior. However, it FULLY is eligible for WCGIC status. Din't overheat or nuthin!

We;ll be seeing you guys on Sunday for the BBQ. We'll see how emma does, but we should be able to leave the tow rig at Loon or Robbs and circle around after or before barret.

SeanP

Lincoln said:
I wanted to use it to keep some of the meat frozen until later in the week. 16lbs does sound a little excessive. :)

Won't the regular ice melt the dry ice faster if they touch?

We're going to have a ton of cooler room. I'm making dad haul my 80 quart. He's already trying to rig a drain so he doesn't have to move it or deal with sloshing water. :D

In Andy's case, the dry ice kept the regular ice so frozen that it didn't melt......there was no water to drain out of the ice chest. I don't know how it was the third day, but it definitely helped to keep the ice.

With 16lbs it was so cold that it caused condensation under the ice chest and then froze it on the floor of the Jeep. Pretty cold........

I think I'll try 6-7 lbs and see what it does. I'm leaving Wed so it's a long way to the next Fri, although I can add ice on Sunday. Normally, I can make two blocks of ice last 5-7 days in a 48 qt ice chest.

Farther...Farther...Farther...

I don't have a good feeling about my tranny. I only hope that 1) It can be fixed by Saturday morning, and 2) it won't cost me an arm and a leg.

Back