• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OK fab gurus heres one for ya

rockwerks

NAXJA Forum User
Im building a small rock buggy using a divorced TC Id like to keep the length down to a minium on the auto trans gonna use a 904 from a 2,8 86 behind my 2.5 TBI. anyway I was thinking of fabbing up a 1/4" plate to seal off the end of the 4x to TC adapter place a bearing on spacer on the inside and a seal on the outside. anyone have any ideas why it wont work?

and no a tail housing from a 2x trans wont fit on both the 904 and aw4 the output shaft is longer for the 2x trans. So I would also be saving about 2" in overall length. and would it even need a bearing?

BrettM said:
doesn't give ya any answers, but what t-case?

Im building a buggy out of a sidekick tin top body, using a 4.16:1 calmini sammy TC, locked toyota 8" axles, 4 " lift yj springs, 2.5 jeep cyl and 904 auto. should be a nice lil rig.

I dont understand why you want the t-case divorced. Wont the drive train be shorter (Your goal?) if the t-case is mounted to the tranny directly?

Because he's trying to ba***rdize an MJ. :D

Brian, isn't there a bearing or bushing just inside the seal on the back and isn't it already sealed? I think you could just get away with mounting a flange to the stock 4x output shaft. Unless you are planning on shifting the t-case there shouldn't be much stress on the output shaft.

If I understand what you're saying, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

The samy t-case uses a u-joint b/w the tranny and t-case correct? Maybe a flange? How will you be attaching the yoke or flange to the output shaft?

With the 4x tranny, the bearing and seal are way up in front. I don't see why you won't be able to mill that bellhousing part off where the t-case mounts all the way up to the seal of the tranny. If the splined area is short the milling off probably won't work. But with a divorced case and keeping the output short, forget welding that plate up, you don't need a clean mounting area and the extra bearing should not be needed.

I have no idea what a 904 tranny looks like or what it's out of so these are kinda guesses.

I don't know how solid the t-case is mounted, but if it is on bushings that give and what not, and you leave the output shaft full length, that extra bearing may be needed or that tranny output seal and bearing will go very quickly.

just my quick thoughts. _nicko_

Well I believe I have this fugured out. and its pretty simple. I have a 231 input shaft from a wrecked TC. and a slip yoke from the 231
picture.JPG

I can cut down and lathe ut the inside of the input shaft to match the outside dia of the slip yoke. get a sammy DS bolt yoke to use with the slip yoke. This will give me about a 4" savings in length over the stock 231 setup and a weight savings of around 50 lbs.

picture.JPG

This will give me a bearing point on the shaft IM making that is a common dia and uses the stock 4x adapter and seal.

I will make a 3/16" plate to cover the rear of the trans adapter housing and using a 2" ID dom tube I have a bearing that I will weld onto the plate

picture.JPG

I will take pics as it progresses. This work gives us more options in TC's there are many 205's etc that are available in Divorced style. and can be used with dual stick.

Back