• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wondering what back and front axles i have... plz help

a_hiatt

NAXJA Forum User
i've got a 99 cherokee sport 4d and i dont really know what kind of rear end i have. i was wondering if u guys could help me out. so if anyone knows what axles came in my jeep could u let me know. i do know that it's lsd cause when i turn one wheel the other turns opposite.

thanks

Re: Wondering what B`ck and front axles i hppe... plz help

a_hiatt said:
i've got a 99 cherokee sport 4d and i dont really know what kind of rear end i have. i was wondering if u guys could help me out. so if anyone knows what axles came in my jeep could u let me know. i do know that it's lsd cause when i turn one wheel the other turns opposite.

thanks

More Info. 4cyl or 6 ? Auto or Stick ? ABS or No ? This will narrow it down all the way... ( I think )

You've either got an open diff, or a fried LSD then. A working LSD will turn both wheels in the same direction.

If you've got ABS, you've probably got a D35C rear axle. Otherwise, I'd bet on a Chrysler 8.25.

thats the two i've narrowed them down to, anyone know how to tell for sure(when i got my lift, i had to get bigger u-bolts, so i know i have the bigger axle) and also, does anyone know what fuse goes to the ABS system so i can disable it when i want to

You can always look under the hood and check the brake hardware. The ABS accumulator, pump, etc. should be pretty obvious. You'll also have a ring sensor at each wheel.

a_hiatt said:
so how do i find out if i have abs other than slamming on the brakes

start you rig and see of a little light marked ABS comes on and then goes out. Should be in the lower right corner of your instrument cluster.

to the right on the top of the Diff pumpkin if it is a D35 (as most cherokee's are) there will be a raised 35C.

Most cherokees have a Dana 30 Front (good axel up to 33" tires) and a Dana 35 Rear end (good axel up to 30" tires)

i've concluded i have the dana 30 front, and the chrysler 8.25 rear and no abs. i havent decided if that's good or bad yet. i wanted abs basically so i could have a switch to dissable it when offroad, but oh well. i've got 33x10.50 tires

FitchVA said:
you'll be happy w/ the 8.25. it's the stronger of the two axles

You'll also be happy chrysler didn't slap you with the abs. I had it on my wrangler and hated it !! Chattered more than a ho' on Jerry Springer, and just like her, wouldn't stop...

Back