• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nutcerts for hitch and gas skid?

Hiaboo

NAXJA Forum User
I have a mopar hitch and the gas tank, all of the hardware but, no nutcerts, and what extactly is one? and where can I pick up one? I think I've read somewhere that the dealership has them for $12 each or whatever, I'm not sure. Pics and/or Part # and/or both would be GREAT help. TIA.

Beautiful dude, thanks so much. I read the thread and got the parts # and pics, and all that. I owe you one. I should be able to install the skid and hitch with this with no troubles correct?

Couple of extra notes: If the Jeep is a later model, it might already have the strip on the passenger side. I'm not sure when they started doing that, but some newer ones do.

The bolts are metric with a coarser thread than standard. If you don't get them from the dealer when you buy the strips, make sure you either take an existing one or the strip to the parts store so you get the right threads.

As Matthew said, the nuts are metric. They are 12mm but I don't recall the thread pitch. I could not get them at Lowe's or Home Depot -- I'm blessed to have The Nutty Company nearby and they had them in stock. The factory ones have flanged heads, though, and the ones from The Nutty Company have conventional heads requiring washers.

You will need to remove the rear bumper to slide the nut strips into the frame rails.

USE ANTI-SIEZE!

i just finished installing my Draw-Tite hitch, and my car already had the nutstrips, however, the bolt size is 12mm with 1.75 threads (for the factory nutstrips).

You may already have a nutstrip on the drivers side if you have a tow hook on that side as came stock on a few vehicles.

also make sure that after you install the hitch and gas tank "closed sided skid" that you put two metal washers on the forward gas tank skid bolt, or the hitch will lower the rear of the skid 1/4" and the front will still be at the normal location, leading to shearing of bolts and major headaches.

need anything, PM me like i said, i just finished the install myself and would be happy to help.

OSH is a good place for Grade 8 Hardware

Back