• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Brake Pads

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
I need to change the front brakes of my ol' 99.
Is there any brand you recommend that would last more than what I could get from lets say Chrysler Parts Direct?
Also anyone knows of a good site that would tell me how to do that? Yes, I am going to buy the shop manual soon...anyone has it for less than $90?
Thank you very much in advance
Boris
P.S. Just for the record, i did a search on it and did not find my answer in the first 100 messages.

Buy a Haynes manual to tide you over til you find an FSM, they're only like 20 bucks or something. It'll show you how to do the brakes. I just did mine a few months ago and it was fairly easy to figure out once you're looking at it.

i recommend the jeep "valueline" brakes. they are a competitively priced compared to the aftermarket. and last as long as the originals without the annoying queaking of aftermarket.

i was gonna go with bendix. bendix are great. do not how ever get wearevers that advanced auto has. there not bad but they squeek and do everything else. although the wear ever golds are pretty good and you get the first replacement free. as for changing the brakes your gonna need a socket set. like say a 13mm if i remember correctly, a c-clamp to compress the caliper properly, some sand paper, antiseize, rotors(or get yours resurfaced)-----this is a must, wire cuters to get that pesky little thingy off that chrysler puts on the studs so the rotors and drums dont fall off on the assembly line. unless im forgetting something which i prolly am, good luck. it only takes about 10-20 minutes unless you have to wait for your rotors to get done at the machine shop.

Alienspecimen said:
Hello,
Is there any brand you recommend that would last more than what I could get from lets say Chrysler Parts Direct?
Also anyone knows of a good site that would tell me how to do that? Yes, I am going to buy the shop manual soon...anyone has it for less than $90?
Boris
P.S. Just for the record, i did a search on it and did not find my answer in the first 100 messages.

Here you can download service manuals: http://natecovington.com/jeep/service_manuals.htm
Hope it helps!

Autozone's Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads are quite good too. They'll stop an XJ real good, and some Cup cars (#22 uses them) too.

--Matt

I recently replaced my front brake pads with the "High End" ones that Advanced Auto Parts sells. They are made of ceramic and have NO brake dust that coats the front wheels. (That alone is worht the bucks) They stop great and I haven't had a problem yet. Oh, and becasue they are made of ceramic they don't sqweek either.

Alex

Another vote for Autozone's Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads here. I recently installed a set on my '01 and I'm very happy with them.

Dave

Can those that posted good pads like the ceramic or carbon metallic please post part numbers for what fits and where you got them? Autozone is very good at not having the right numbers in their computer, or the guy not scrolling down the screens and seeing there are other products - you just get 'that's all we carry' instead. It's better going in with number in hand...

Just a suggestion...:wave1:

skipc said:
Can those that posted good pads like the ceramic or carbon metallic please post part numbers for what fits and where you got them? Autozone is very good at not having the right numbers in their computer, or the guy not scrolling down the screens and seeing there are other products - you just get 'that's all we carry' instead. It's better going in with number in hand...

Just a suggestion...:wave1:
try going to advance those auto zone jokers don't know any thing. like the duralast gold batterys though

Alienspecimen said:
Hello,
Boris

I'm happy with my rabestos: I got the ones that are medium grade (they got three different ones... I forget what are they called).

Another vote for Performance Friction Carbon Metallic from Autozone.

AZ has some ceramic pads that are less than PF ones. I put them on my wife's caravan and they look new after 20k miles. $38.00 or something like that. They have them for Jeeps, but not on their website.

Dave DE said:
Another vote for Autozone's Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads here. I recently installed a set on my '01 and I'm very happy with them.

Dave

Ditto - gotum and never heard a bad thing about them. Minimual dust too.

Performance Friction from Autozone! Greg

Back