• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xfercase removal

Tampa_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys I'm still stuck...I can figure out how to get the 2 driver side nuts off... the 4x4 shifter bracket its all in the way...is there top access thru the carpet or something I"m missing here...I cant possibly be the only one here who has removed their xfer case....

I just did this a week ago. I am talking about an NP242 from an 89. I put a jack under the transmission and lowered the whole assembly a little. Disco the linkage before you do this, but momorize how it looks in your head, or it could be a pain later on. The top drivers side nut I removed with an extension and a flex-nuckle on the socket. I attacked this one from the top. The one on the side came off with a box end wrench with the a ratcheting head. I think mine are Crescent brand, but there are a lot of them out, now. I plan to buy a whole set of them, because they are a huge help. Once the case and tranny is angled down, you will have better access to the hole. Be ready, cause that mother weighs about 70lbs. Not much room to get the f out of the way, incase your grip slips. What are you doing to your case?

actually swap...current 242 busted a chain....how did you access it from the top? i tried a box wrench on the side one, but i cant get enough of it on the nut b/c of that damn lip from the bracket, ive basically stripped the top half of the nut trying....i have the whole tranny angled down almost touching the ground....

I swapped out a 242 for a 231 in my 89 a couple years ago...

IIRC I used the box end of a 13mm (or was it 15mm?)stubby SnapOn wrench with another wrench & hammer to get it started. There wasn't a lot of 'swing' going on, just a couple of degrees.

I accessed it from the bottom/sides with the x-member off.

Tampa_XJ said:
actually swap...current 242 busted a chain....how did you access it from the top? i tried a box wrench on the side one, but i cant get enough of it on the nut b/c of that damn lip from the bracket, ive basically stripped the top half of the nut trying....i have the whole tranny angled down almost touching the ground....

You may need to go get one of those sockets that have the built in nuckle. If the nut is in bad shape, I don't see any problem with grinding a little of that bracket off to give yourself more access. What I meant by from the top is I basically laid on the ground, right under the case, and hugged the case. Both of my hands were on top. But, once you get the socket on the top nut, you can access the wrench from the driver's side. Like I said, use a decent length extension so you can have the wrench in a spot where you can swing it.

I used a 1/4" drive snap on socket/ratchet to remove them. After I removed the bracket, it's a pain.

Last edited:
I've got the 231 but I cut an old wrench in half since I didn't have a stubby the right size. It took a bunch of small turns but it worked.

Back