• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d44 wheel cylinder upgrades

themud

NAXJA Forum User
I read somewhere and cant remember where to save my life you can upgrade the wheel cylinders for d44 brakes to something with a larger bore...Has anyone done this or does anyone know the part # for it??? Im just putting in a d44 rear end and want to go through the brakes before I put them in(ie new springs, shoes and wheel cylinders)and see no reason not to beef them up at the same time...
thanks
themud

This is a quote from a guy named "bones" Ward. He helped me with my brake problems. hope it helps.

"I replaced the 7/8" ID wheel cylinders on the D44 with 1" ID cylinders that had application on a 1972 Ford Pick-up. The difference in pedal feel took some getting used to but I have had good success with the swap"

wagner (and others) list them - they provide about 5' better stopping distance from 60 MPH on my XJ - you can feel the rear brakes come in - unlike the stock 7/8 which don't seem to have enough braking.

rsalemi do you have the ford cylinders? or which ones are you talking about??
and John is that 2wd or 4wd and front or rear??? also how was the pedal different?
does anyone happen to have a part # for it or should I just go to AZ and have them look it up..
thanks
themud

many moons ago there was a thread on how to eliminate the ABS on 91 xj's.
The upgrade was stated in there, I can't find that link anymore.

Just PM Bones he should be able to help, I made way too many upgrades to the system to make a comparison on pedal feel, but I can tell you that the Jeeps stops great now.

BTW it was a 2wd ford application, take your old cylinder with you so you can match it up.

john ya got me close enough I can do the rest from here thanks for the help just needed a start as for the pedal feel as long as it stops better than stock I am good for it...
thanks
themud

My D44 is from a 72 Scout and has the 1" cyliders. HUGE difference from the stock 8.25

Back