• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clunking while breaking...

cito57

NAXJA Forum User
When coming to a stop I get a clunking noise from the rear end. Any ideas on what it might be? Also, the front breaks feel like they are grabbing. Are the rotors warped? Thanks.

Todd

Year/configuration/mileage? We could use some more information.

I have a clunk myself (actually feels like the rear is settling on anything more than light braking). In my case, it's play in the rear suspension (original leaf packs with original bushings at 208,500 miles) because I'm beginning to sag.

What kind of shape are your rear brakes in? The self-adjusting mechanism in the XJ drums is notorious for not self-adjusting.

Rob

Most commonly, it will be your rear brakes causing the noise. A couple of things can come into play. Leaky wheel cylinder, leaky axle seal, buildup of brake dust in the drum, or brakes not releasing correctly.

Pull the drums and wash them out, see if there is any oil.

Another idea is to have someone watch your rear pinion while you go forward and back.
Axle wrap can also cause a 'clunk'.
HTH.

Back