• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Header Question.... Need HELP

Culinary_Hooligan

NAXJA Forum User
I've recently discovered that I have a Cracked exhaust manifold on my 96 xj.
due to the fact that an OEM replacement manifold isnt exactly cheap, I decided that i'm just going to replace it with an aftermarket header...

any suggestions on which to go with.
Clifford Perf. makes a nice one
so does banks, and Borla....

Problem is, I know the Borla requires a new down pipe.
does anyone have any experience with any of these?

I dont have much time to be without my xj, and dont really have the xtra funds to have my vechicle towed to an exhaust shop, since i am going to do the install on the header.

can someone give me a little info on these products?
Will any header out there connect to the stock downpipe?

The Borla kit is complete back to the catalytic converter, it does *NOT* require any extra pipes. I've got one on my 94, it's been on for around 150,000 miles.

If you've never done this before, call it a day's job.

My Borla came with a downpipe. Pretty much bolt-on and connect to the converter. The Banks header doesn't come with the downpipe - it's available for an extra 80 bucks or so. The Borla ended up being the best value, when I compared to Banks, Clifford, Pacesetter and a few others.

Guy's Thank you so much for the info.
I had been planning on replacing the manifold anyways, but was hoping to wait till i saved up a few bucks first
Then the cracked manifold kicked me in the ass...

now the downpipe does have a O2 bung welded in already right?

notice much of a difference in power with the header installed?

I'm running the Clifford and like it. Don't have a lot to compare it to since I installed it along with a stroke. I've run Cliffords on a host of different engines over the last 35+ years. They seem to know the inline engines pretty well.

does the clifford unit come with the downpipe?

I love the twin outlet version, but dont like the fabbing to the exhaust system that would have to be done

I've been running a Borla - head to tail. I did see an improvement in MPG and overall torque. I also have better top end performance. The muffler is a little on the noisy side. Kids love the sound. Don't notice it when at speed.

Yes the Borla header comes with O2 bung. Just be careful you don't snap the O2 sensor putting it in. I know some idiot that did that installing his, oh wait that was me.

My buddy won a Borla header at 4 Wheel Drives Jamboree, and he gave it to me, now it didnt come with the down pipe, can I just buy the down pipe separate, and what size is Borla's down pipe?

I wouldn't put another clifford on if you paid me!!

Bought one and less than 5 months and 2,000 miles it was cracked worse than the factory, you need weld a new collector on to the factory exh and the second header they sent me had a different collector.

Done a few borla's good quality no issues with any. Does ML still make them?

got a set for 2.5 works great too bad they had to charge me twice for shipping. seemed there webmaster is to lazy to update there site.I was told to send them back if I didnt like it . wow now that sure is the way to treat customers. Oh yes I forgot to say where I got the headers from, Clifford performance IGNORANCE IS IGNORNACE , THIEVES ARE THIEVES.

Back