• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squeaks and Rattles from my RE Suspension

jacktowncrawler

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a RE 3.5" SuperFlex suspension 2 months ago. My new right side lower arm squeaks when compressed, I think at the frame mount, and the new full spring-packs squeak I think at the shackle. Now, my original suspension did not squeak, so what gives. Should I take some grease and coat the inside of the rubber bushings. I don't want to degrade the bushing any faster than normal.

It is really annoying, because we don't have nice smooth roads where I live.

Also, whenever I hit a really rough spot in the asphalt, it seems like something hits, I keep thinking it is in the location of the left lower control arm at the frame, but can't really tell. Any Ideas?

I guess I am satisfied with the RE kit, but it does ride a little stiff compared to stock, even with the OME shocks. And that is with my stock 235 tires. Put my 31" MTRs on and it sometimes gets ridiculous.

Thanks for any help

jacktowncrawler said:
Also, whenever I hit a really rough spot in the asphalt, it seems like something hits, I keep thinking it is in the location of the left lower control arm at the frame, but can't really tell. Any Ideas?

Thanks for any help

Are your control arms adjustable? When I first installed the same kit (upgraded with adjustable arms), one of the control arm jam nuts kept working itself loose. It sounded/felt similar to what you're describing. It seems the guy that did the alignment didn't get it tight on my Jeep. I check it every so often now when I'm under there and every time after I get it aligned.

I did not put grease on any of the rumber bushings upon installation as the instructions did not say, and I have never read anything, anywhere that says, "don't forget to grease the new rubber bushings before installation or you will squeak". So I have not greased the bushings. Wasn't really sure if it was common practice.

Thanks

I just install a 6020. Found out that the cross bolt for the Sway Bar Adapter on the drivers side was rubbing on the steering bracket. Reversed the direction with the nut out and solved the problem.

I would use rubber friendly grease on all bushings. If not to get rid of the squeek, then to protect against rust.

You might check your tire preassure for ride quality. There was a recent thread on this subject and a good description of how to find out the right preasure for longevity. 30 PSI sounded like the right starting place.

I haven't had any hitting with the sway bar adapter as you speak off.

I think the grease sounds like a good idea, I am just researching it more.

My tire pressure is around 30-32 PSI. Same pressure I was running with the stock suspension and stock tires. That is how I can tell the suspension is a little on the stiff. I suppose that if I had it loaded a little, it might soften up. I am sure that it was designed to handle XJs with a rack, Hi-lift, winch, heavy tire carrier, tools, etc...things I don't have yet.

grease should do the trick. Make sure its sythetic grease or else it will cause the rubber to expand.

Back