• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which water pump?

frsno jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
i called the local napa tryin to get a water pump for the 89 4.0
parts guy says there are 2 possibilities for 89.
i dont want to go out and take measurements from the hub surface on the one ive got on there now, because i dont know for sure its the right one to begin with.
i considered just buying the gasket and matchiing it up, but as luck would have it, they are the same gasket for both pumps.
i am going to ASS U ME (everyone knows that one right?) that one of those pumps is the reverse rotation version.
would i know for SURE that i had the wrong pump on there for the last 5 or so years?
temp has been somewhat of an issue since i got the beast(~ 5 years) but would the wrong pump be "functional" that long?

There should not be two possibilties for the '89 4.0L Cherokee. The 4.0L only came with a serpentine belt, and requires a "reverse" rotation water pump. In 1989, the Wrangler was still using the 4.2L (258 cubic inch) engine, which had a conventional vee belt and did not use a reverse rotation water pump. They are the same basic blcok and the pumps will mount to the wrong engine.

Have the guy look up the water pump for an '89 Wrangler 4.2L, then buy the one that does NOT fit that application.

On top of what Eagle said, buy the one that looks like:
waterpump.jpg

If the impellers go the other way, it's for the 4.2L

A little FYI, when he looked up the water pump for an 89 wrangler, he told me that the same 2 water pumps listed for both the wrangler and the cherokee.since neither come with a pulley he was forced to go into the book for water pumps and look it up the right way.
Eagle said:
There should not be two possibilties for the '89 4.0L Cherokee. The 4.0L only came with a serpentine belt, and requires a "reverse" rotation water pump. In 1989, the Wrangler was still using the 4.2L (258 cubic inch) engine, which had a conventional vee belt and did not use a reverse rotation water pump. They are the same basic blcok and the pumps will mount to the wrong engine.

Have the guy look up the water pump for an '89 Wrangler 4.2L, then buy the one that does NOT fit that application.

Back