• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35's And BushWackers

JT86XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I already have 3" lift now, if I raise it another inch can I fit generic 35" tires on it with Bush Wackers? I have after market rims, I forget what Back Spacing they are... thanks

The least amount of lift I have seen with 35"s is 5" unless you count Cheap XJ. You can fit them, it's just a matter of how much you wanna cut, although if you cut enough you can't use bushwackers.

I've got Bushwackers on 5-5.5 inches of lift and 33's, I think I could fit 35's but would have some rubbing issues while turning even with 3.75 backspacing. Now without the Bushwackers you should be able to make it work.

I got bushwackers and the 35's rubbed the front while turning with 3.75" bs wheels. I had to remove the front flares so i could turn and am going to run TJ flares.

Matt

I think he's trying to accomplish running 35's on 3" of lift with Bushwackers. Correct me if I'm wrong here JT86XJ.

basalt51 said:
I think he's trying to accomplish running 35's on 3" of lift with Bushwackers. Correct me if I'm wrong here JT86XJ.
actually he said he'd add another inch, so 35s on 4" with BW flares

but I would like to know why as well. the reason is that for one thing, if he's just doing it to look cool, then it wouldn't be very hard, just bumpstop it so that there's very little up-travel. Now if he's doing it to increase his offroad abilities, he may be going down the wrong path. Has he made the appropriate (and extensive) drivetrain and gearing mods to handle 35s? does he realize that lockers will make more of a difference in ability than bigger tires? etc.

JT86XJ said:
I already have 3" lift now, if I raise it another inch can I fit generic 35" tires on it with Bush Wackers? I have after market rims, I forget what Back Spacing they are... thanks

I hope your running at least 4.11's or your probably not going to like it much.

being an 86 your other options aren't too fabulous.

BrettM said:
actually he said he'd add another inch, so 35s on 4" with BW flares

but I would like to know why as well. the reason is that for one thing, if he's just doing it to look cool, then it wouldn't be very hard, just bumpstop it so that there's very little up-travel. Now if he's doing it to increase his offroad abilities, he may be going down the wrong path. Has he made the appropriate (and extensive) drivetrain and gearing mods to handle 35s? does he realize that lockers will make more of a difference in ability than bigger tires? etc.

Brett,

If you don't like your MJ on 35's and the path you choose and don't want to part it out (susp/tires) and go lower, then sell it. You choose the path and did well by getting your front dana 44/rear toy 8" so what's the problem? You have 33's for use on it to dd, and 35's to run the hard stuff. You have a pretty good situation going I think. What are you going to drive in MI? Hang in there bud. At least you have a front arb so like me, we can turn it off to make things a little more challenging if we want to, or let into the urge and hit the switch and effortlessly get over the obstacle. We have it hard. :rolleyes: The lockers and 35's sure make things easier.
As far as keeping on topic here: Forget the Bushwacker flares, they are too expensive and easy to destroy on the trail, run TJ Sahara flares if you really want/need flares. Don't be afraid to cut the body to clear the bigger tires and use the $$$ you didn't spend on the bushwackers to buy a lock-rite or other drivetrain comp that will help your trail performance. It depends what you want a pretty street rig or a down and dirty trail rig, rarely do both happen, 1 is always compromised.
Troy

Well this isnt for my 86, I just bought an 92 with a 4.0, bash all you want, but this isnt goin to see much off road for now, Im building the 86 for that, and I like the way bushwackers look, and I can get a real good deal on 35's. I also plan on gettin a 8.8 with 410's and match the frt too, again not really gonna beat on this so that will be fine for me. thanks

hijacking time. i have my fenders trimmed and have been running flareless for a while. i want to add bushwackers to clean it up a bit. my only question is am i going to lose any clearance by adding the bushwackers.

okay, you're not gonna really wheel it, but you want it to look "cool" on 35s. now we can give you some real help.

You'll clear 35s fine with 4" and BW flares, but you'll have to extend your bumpstops so that you have very little up-travel, this won't really hurt you on the street.

don't waste your time with 4.10s. 4.88s are perfect with 33s, and with my 35s on I wish I was in the 5.xx range. And that's for street driving I'm talking about.

also expect the braking to be very lacking, and you'll go through ball-joints and hubs quickly.

33s are much more daily-driver friendly, if there's any way you will settle for 33s I say DO IT.

I'm running 35's on about 6" of lift and Bushwackers. You got a problem with that :explosion Yes I trimmed a bit and I have long arms, but it crawls just fine with 4.56's and the stroker. Hell, it crawled just fine with the 2.5L, you just couldn't do 90 on the highway.

2004_0709Image0014.JPG

I found out tonite, that I can get 33" for good price too, and this Jeep will go four wheelin just not anything extreme, probaly just goin through the woods for a trail ride nothing extreme, now my question is, will 33"s look stupid with Wackers? thanks for the help

I'm running 5.5" lift, 33s and bushwackers. It looks good as long as you have enough back spacing on your wheels. I am running 15x8s with 3.75 bs. My 33s rub the tops of the rear flares when flexed. Supposedly the siver cherokee in the bushwacker adds has 35s with 4" lift. I've also seen a 2 door locally with a trailmaster 4" lift and 33s that looks really good (even better than the bushwacker jeep on 35s in my opinion).

Back