• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Parking and camping

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I still plan to park my tow rig at the Rubicon staging area on the Tahoe side on Friday, anyone else going to do that?

Who all is going to be camping Fri nite at the Fordyce trailhead? Where exactly will we be camping? I see in Charles Wells' new book that Indian Springs Campground is right at the trailhead, but I've searched all over and can't find anything on that campground.

Count me in-- just let me know where to meet. The only parts of California I've seen are the Los Angeles and San Francisco airports. I can only hope the Rubicon is as majestic.

-Jon

Kaczman said:
Count me in-- just let me know where to meet. The only parts of California I've seen are the Los Angeles and San Francisco airports. I can only hope the Rubicon is as majestic.

-Jon
nah, the Sierra's have got nothin on the airports :laugh3:

rubicon007_001.jpg

G, when you turn off of 80 onto Eagle Lakes Road, you'll make a big sweeping turn to the left, and about a 1/2 mile down, there will be a sign on the right that says Eagle Lakes. Make a right into there, and you'll pretty much be surrounded by camp spots. Continue on the gravel/pavement for about 1/3 mile and you'll come to a popular tow rig camping area that has concrete toilets, you can also camp there. If you don't like that area just continue on the dirt and you'll find something to your liking.

Saturday morning, we'll meet at those concrete toilets, as that is a good place to park tow rigs.

Channel 4 as always.

If anyone get's lost my cell is 530- 902-1570.

CRASH

CRASH said:
G, when you turn off of 80 onto Eagle Lakes Road, you'll make a big sweeping turn to the left, and about a 1/2 mile down, there will be a sign on the right that says Eagle Lakes. Make a right into there, and you'll pretty much be surrounded by camp spots. Continue on the gravel/pavement for about 1/3 mile and you'll come to a popular tow rig camping area that has concrete toilets, you can also camp there. If you don't like that area just continue on the dirt and you'll find something to your liking.

Saturday morning, we'll meet at those concrete toilets, as that is a good place to park tow rigs.

Channel 4 as always.

CRASH
maybe I missed it somewhere else, what time?

Restrictions on fires at campgrounds? Do we bring our own wood, flameproducing products, Wiccans?

BrettM said:
maybe I missed it somewhere else, what time?

Andy had said previously we would start Fordyce Sat morning at 10:00.

Still the plan?

Yes, 10 am.

Fire restrictions are in FULL EFFECT. This means no campfires except at Meadow Lake on Saturday night and Ice House on Sunday. Plenty of wood to be had at both places.

All cooking must be done with a gas stove.

CRASH

CRASH said:
Yes, 10 am.

Fire restrictions are in FULL EFFECT. This means no campfires except at Meadow Lake on Saturday night and Ice House on Sunday. Plenty of wood to be had at both places.

All cooking must be done with a gas stove.

CRASH

Nod, with the drought/fires I suspected so, just wanted to make sure. I have a gas stove..it's um..3 years old and never been out of the box..4 years in the infantry cured me of camping :p Kay, thanks guys, feeling a lot better now that I've got some info to bat around. :callme:

CRASH said:

Channel 4 as always.

CRASH

Andy, How's the drive from the end of Fordyce back to the concrete toilets?
Is it something that someone without a windshield & a few other issues could handle?
Any idea how long it would take to drive from Ice House over to Fordyce, or is it one of those 'you can't get there from here' things?
Paul

Paul S said:
Andy, How's the drive from the end of Fordyce back to the concrete toilets?
Is it something that someone without a windshield & a few other issues could handle?
Any idea how long it would take to drive from Ice House over to Fordyce, or is it one of those 'you can't get there from here' things?
Paul
from Meadow Lake, out to Hwy 89, through Truckee, onto Interstate 80, back to Indian Springs, is probably about a 40 minute drive a good part of which is on I-80, which means CHP.

Jeff 98XJ WI said:
Why may I ask don't you have a windshield? Is that something new? What's been happening to the Paul rig anyway? Jeff

I have a windshield, although that's about all that's left of the old Ameba that you knew. Still perfectly streetable though.
A buddy of mine is going to tag along in a not so streetable jeep.

Paul

BrettM said:
from Meadow Lake, out to Hwy 89, through Truckee, onto Interstate 80, back to Indian Springs, is probably about a 40 minute drive a good part of which is on I-80, which means CHP.

Thanks Brett,

Goatman came up with a plan that should work.

Paul

I figured you may have been asking on behalf of a standard style Jeep owner, but it just sounded a bit interesting. So what changes have been made to your rig? Sounds like quite a bit. Do tell. Or perhaps tell on a different forum since it really doesn't belong here. Later, Jeff

Goatman said:
I still plan to park my tow rig at the Rubicon staging area on the Tahoe side on Friday, anyone else going to do that?

Who all is going to be camping Fri nite at the Fordyce trailhead? Where exactly will we be camping? I see in Charles Wells' new book that Indian Springs Campground is right at the trailhead, but I've searched all over and can't find anything on that campground.

Richard,
We'll be coming up and staying at the Fordyce trailhead for Friday night. We're planning on leaving the truck and trailer at the end of the Rubicon. See ya on Friday!
Andy

Back