• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weekend maint. with different fluids

DeftwillP

NAXJA Forum User
First I was going to do a check on the brakes and flush the fluid. I was planning on Valvoline Synpower(syn. everything else cept the aw4). How about do I go evacuating the current brake fluid from the system, and how much new fluid will I need?

Also, I was going to see if I can pick up some amsoil 75w-90 locally. But I forgot how many quarts I put in the 8.25 last time. I used a gasket last time as well, but I'm under the impression now that I could just use some rtv on clean surfaces?

I was also considering switching from M1 to amsoil this oil change. I typically use 10w-30. Whats the difference with all of the different amsoil products(reg syn, series 2000)?

I also forgot about power steering. I wanted to flush that system as well with some good synthetic. How to flush, how much fluid?

Brakes -- use a turkey baster to suck all the fluid out of the master cylinder, clean the crud out of the bottom of the servoirs, then refull and bleed each wheel until you see clean fluid. You'll probably go through at least a quart, so I'd suggest buying two quarts.

Powersteering-turkey baster as well to get the old fluid out.
RTV for the axles, enough to fill right under the fill hole. I buy three of the gear oils (forget size) but one full one per diff plus a little bit.
Amsoil is supposed to last longer provided you use their oil filter. Some guy was trying to sell me last year on it. he said he goes 15k miles on the same oil just changes/cleans the filter every 7k miles. I looked at as a price thing/ plus I didn't feel comfortable changing my oil after that kind of time with a dd. So every 3-4k miles/ Val. Blend with a new filter. But if you can find it cheap go for it. I just feel a full on Syn. oil is over kill for a Jeep. They're not Vettes or Porsches. Just my thoughts. Juice

one more btt

I've heard repeatedly that the 4.0 is an old "tractor engine" design. Should I be running a heavier oil?

Heavier than what? The 4.0L is not an "old tractor" design. That family of engines was introduced by AMC in 1964 and at that time was state-of-the-art for American passenger car engines. AMC and then Chrysler have continually refined it since then. If your engine generates acceptable oil pressure with whatever you run now, there is no reason to go heavier.

Back