• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Having a bad week..... front wheel bearings seized on me....speedi-sleeve?

Safari Ary

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I guess somehow water got in my front hubs and eventually caused the bearings to seize. We had a good 3-4" of rain today and I was playing around in the lakes that formed on site, so I can only guess that's what caused it. I can't believe it happened so fast, as I only drove about 10 miles after I left the site, but I guess anything is possible. Anyway, when the bearings seized the races were inevitably forced to spin on the spindle in turn destroying the spindle's surface. My question is about what to do now. Chevy small bearing D44 spindles are a rare breed around here and are very hard to acquire, let alone reasonably priced. Since this is my DD I need to get this fixed ASAP. I've heard of things called speedi-sleeves and that they are for repairing damaged spindles. What I don't know is how they work, what is required as far as machining, if anything, and where can I get them?

Also, has anyone ever fitted zerks to the hub assembly so that it would fall between the inner and outer wheel bearings? This would allow fresh grease to be pumped in after playing in water. Seems like a no brainer to me, but I suppose water shouldn't be getting in there in the first place.

Safari "the Jeep is coming home on tow trucks too frequently these days" Ary

Edit: Did a little more research on speedi-sleaves and it seems they are only for rejuvenating seal surfaces, not bearing surfaces. Is this correct?

Last edited:
i'm pretty near certain speedi-sleaves aren't for spindles and bearings

I've never had much trouble finding small bearing spindles, you can have large bearing spindles turned down by a maching shop, it works, but is slightly booty fab

Back