• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can I use a Front Drive Shaft in the rear? (Double Cardigan)

XJ91

NAXJA Forum User
I have lifted my jeep with RE6025 (3.5" with full leafs). It netted me 5" of lift and I really don't have the cash for a TW and Hack'n'Tap, as I have the 242.

I measured the front and it is almost 2" longer than the rear.

Reason I'm asking is I can get my hands on one for cheap.

If you're feeling really cold, you might need to wear a double cardigan ;) but if it's a drive shaft that you're after, you'd better specify double CARDAN :) universal joints. The front driveshaft is too small in diameter and not strong enough to use in the rear.

You'd still need a SYE if you decide to use a front driveshaft in the rear.

With the 242 you shouldn't have to have a SYE on there. I lifted mine with the 4.5" RE leaf's and it was at 6" plus. I drove like that for about 6months before I got a SYE on mine. The front ds would become a taco, not strong enough. Juice

Lawn Cher' said:
You'd still need a SYE if you decide to use a front driveshaft in the rear.

This is the main point. The front driveshaft has a slip yoke. The transfer case output shaft has a slip yoke. Putting two slip yokes into one driveline assembly would be a disaster. One shaft could collapse completely, creating contact and grenading.

Drive it the way it is if it isn't vibrating...and save your coin for the SYE and new driveshaft.

Nay

I've run a front shaft in the rear.

if, and ONLY if you have an 8.25" rear end, 4.0L/aw4 combo and use the 4.0L/aw4 front shaft.

they hold up just fine. I know they're stronger than the 8.25"s pinion yoke

Damn funny thing, I've run a front shaft in the rear on my stroker for quite a while. Busted a couple of axles but never a shaft. I even lengthened the shaft. When I looked at the front shaft, the wall thickness was greater than on the rear shaft.

I have a 4" lift on a '01 AW4 D30, and have been running a stock front shaft on the rear for almost 2 years. Works fine as a daily driver and has held up on basic trails with some moderate wheeling. Still saving (talking the lady into it) for that tom woods special.

Wow, you revived a 4 and a half year old thread just to say, "Me too?"

;)

Back