• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mopar Plug Wires

Black & Tan

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, after reading the various posts here on spark plug wires, I've decided on the Mopar High Performance. Small problem...both dealers I've been to have no idea what I'm talking about. I told the second dealer it was in an "Accessories" catalog and he told me he had never heard of High Performance wires from Mopar for a 97 Cherokee.

Do these wires exist? Can anyone give me a part number?

HIGH PERF. IGNITION WIRE SETS
4876436 1991-99 Jeep 4.0 L in line 6 38.50

Thats a cut and paste from the catalog

Damn...I just called the dealer, gave them the part number and description and they're saying it's not a valid Chrysler/Mopar number. They can't find it listed on the computer and it doesn't show up in any of the dealers within the "network." And they know nothing about High Performance wires.

Am I on Candid Camera???

All Mopar Performance Catalog part numbers begin with a "P"

1987-1990 4.0L = P4876549

1991-1999 4.0L = P4876436

Well, I found a set of Mopar performance plug wires,87-1990 4.0L = P4876549
on ebay. New in box etc. $36 including shipping. The guy has more in stock.

I ordered a set and we shall see what I get. Cruiser54 will probably tell me they have a shelf life of 2 years, and I wasted my money. But I figure if I
couple these up with my discontinued, not installed, high altitude CPS I should pick up 20hp:huh:

Well, I found a set of Mopar performance plug wires,87-1990 4.0L = P4876549
on ebay. New in box etc. $36 including shipping. The guy has more in stock.

I ordered a set and we shall see what I get. Cruiser54 will probably tell me they have a shelf life of 2 years, and I wasted my money. But I figure if I
couple these up with my discontinued, not installed, high altitude CPS I should pick up 20hp:huh:

Nah. You're good to go.

Got the wires today. Appear to be NOS. Made in USA, box dated 8/99. Pretty blue wires, silicon grease included and each wire is numbered for respective
cylinder.

Hey, I'm happyHasta Seller was RMR Distributors, Ebay.

I just bought Taylor 74249 off Ebay, jeep-first, was the seller. Using Accel plugs and a MSD coil, I had not done the wires yet. Well, quite a noticeable improvement. Better response and a tad more power on the low end. High end, as always with the 4.0, is silky smooth.
My 92 Xj is happy with these 8mm superstars.

Damn Cruiser:doh: You must keep your disciples informed of "Cruiser approved"
parts. LOL. We'll, let me know how much horsepower you pick up from your wires, and I'll do the same:)

When I bought my heep a few years ago, when I was replacing things. I picked up the Accel Super tune kit. Has plugs/wires/cap/rotor. It comes with 8mm ( I think) accel 8000 series wires. The wires alone cost more than the kit itself.
I made my decision at the time based on conveneice/price Thought about the Taylor wires, but got this.

Damn Cruiser:doh: You must keep your disciples informed of "Cruiser approved"
parts. LOL. We'll, let me know how much horsepower you pick up from your wires, and I'll do the same:)

Hadn't given it much thought until we got some Taylors for my propane truck at work. Good wires, and they come in red to match my wrinkle finish valve cover.

Hadn't given it much thought until we got some Taylors for my propane truck at work. Good wires, and they come in red to match my wrinkle finish valve cover

Well, I'm not going to powder coat my VC AMC blue! Visions of a Rambler:looney:

Back