• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB radio recommendations?

wilsmick

NAXJA Member #955
NAXJA Member
So I don't know anything about CB's, but I'd like to install one before the Mohawk ride in Mass. I started researching and pricing them and It's like I'm shopping for something that I don't know anything about.

The prices vary significantly too, so I figure some must be better than others? I only plan on usin it for wheelin though, so will I be okay with just any $40 entry-level CB? Or are the higher priced ones really going to be noticably better? Should I be looking for any special features that are especially usefull?

Recommendations would be great.

TIA - Mike

I'm figured this question has probably been asked a hundred times before, but I did a few different searches and didn't find anything really.

It is not so much the radio as the antenna and where you put it. Best electronic location for the antenna is dead center on the roof, K40 makes a darn good mag mount thats tunable and that will run about $40. Mag mount is nice in that you can take it off and put it away. As for radio's, they are a PIA to mount where they don't get in the way. In my opinion the Cobra 75WX is probably a good choice. It has several things going for it. First the 'base' mounts pretty much wherever you want it, under the dash, under the console, pretty much anyplace you can think of, second, the microphone has all the controls and attaches to the 'base' with a din connector. When done you can leave the base in the vehicle and just remove the handset and lock it up or put in the house till you want it next time. You can buy additional 'bases' and put them in multipe vehicles and the handset follows you. Optimal antenna solution is to permanently mount a roof antenna, several are detacable with a twist of the base and then stick a plastic cap on it keep water out. Downside is you cannot see the antenna and thats a minus when in brush and low branche areas. Most clubs do not allow a steel whip antenna, they have been known to hurt people when they snag on something and then release, most limit the length to 4 feet.
Another alternative is to use a Z mount that attaches to the lip of the front fender/hood crack area and a standard antenna, good alternative because unlike the roof mount you can see the one on the hood and that comes in handy in brush. I use a magnetic roof mount and have for several years but I only keep the cb in when on trails with others, we also use some cobra FRS handhelds that work pretty well, they are the size of pack of smokes, fit in the top pocket of your t shirt and with an ear bud work well.
My CB is an old Maxon 'all in the handset' that I bought at a truck stop back in 93 or so that I attach the base unit to a bolt under the dash and plug into the aux cig plug on my 98, my son has a radio shack one that is bright yellow, supposed to be water resistant and he keeps that in his TJ along with a mag mount antenna that he sticks on the passenger side wheel well inside, keeps it out of the way....have not gotten one for my daughters TJ yet...

well, i dont have one on the xj yet, but I have one in my dakota. I have an old bottom of the line, cheapy, Radio Shack model. I had it in a box for the past 8 or so years. I bought a mirror mount antenna (only antenna the local store had) and drilled a couple holes in the front of the bed so it mounts flush, and only sticks about 3 inches above the roof. For off roading, I have never had a problem, other than it catching a branch, bending back and denting the cab. If you are only using it for off roading, the main need is to talk to others in the pack. Remember they will always be within a small radius, so you dont need a high power radio, or a huge antenna. my buddy has a tuneable antenna and has way more problems then I have ever had. The other option is the hand held motorola radios and the like. For $30 or so they have a couple mile range and all the channels you'll need.
Just some thoughts. If its for trail rides and such, dont sink a ton into it, just check out the low to middle class radios....

I've been running El Cheapo Radio Shack and Maxon compact units for years. With a good antenna they get out as well as any set that hasn't been illegally modified. Where mine have all failed is the receptacle where the mike plugs into the radio. (Note: The Maxon I have now is physically identical to the old Radio Shack). The mike has a 6-pin DIN plug on it, identical to an old style (large pattern) computer keyboard plug. What happens is that the constant lateral tugging on the connector cracks the solder joints. Mo more mike = no more radio.

The one I have now I run with a 6-foot keyboard extension cable, hoping to alleviate the problem. Other companies make the compact size radios with a more industry-standard screw-on connector for the mike.

Head for a nearby T/A or Pilot truck stop and check out their CB department. Cobra has some nice intermediate sized units in the $75 to $100 range. Then get a good antenna to go with it.

Note: My original antenna was a gutter mount. It worked fine on the highway traveling across the country (which is what I bought it for), but it took a beating from low-hanging branches on trails. For a trail XJ I favor a 2-foot or 3-foot fiberglass whip mounted on a 'Z' backet that screws into the inner fender and peeks out through the joint between the hood and the fender.

just about any radio will do, although the only radarshack device that has lasted me longer than a year is my maltimeter. i personaly wouldnt buy one from there. look for a nice cobra or uniden. as far as antenna's are conserned buy a good one it makes the biggest difference in how you sound, and all antennas are tunable/setting the swr [standing wave ratio] not doing it can runin your radio. look on fire-stick's [ a brand of antenna, not shure of the address] web site for some really good info on antennas

hey guys, thanks for all the info, extremely helpful.

i checked out the radioshack model first-hand last night. it was $50, and that connector for the mic cable definately looks sketchy. the Cobra 19 DX III for only $45 looks like a better choice. i liked the Cobra 75WX too, but it costs over twice as much.

for the antenna i'm think a 2 foot fiberglass firestik mounted to one of those z brackets on the passenger side hood/fender gap. the firestick site said to mount the CB antenna at least 12 inches away from my AM/FM antenna and to have at least 60% of the antenna above the roof. i'm not really crazy about having a 4 ft antenna on the drivers side though. so if i put the 2 ft'er on the passenger and just try and keep it away from the other antenna, what are the drawbacks? will i not be able to get the SWR below 2:1, or will i just get crappy range. apperently the high SWR can ruin the radio, but if it just a range issue, then i don't realy care. i know it won't be optimal like that, but just how bad will it be? is anyone runnin a 2 or 3 ft'er there or the drivers side?

also, will i need one of those springs for the antenna to be able to bend, or will the fiberglass flex enough as it is?

thanks again - mike

for anyone researching this thread later, heres some of the best websites i'v been using so far

general info - this firestik site will answer all your cb type questions - really great!
www.walcottcb.com - this site has everthing i needed at the lowest prices i could find
www.cobra.com
www.uniden.com
www.firestik.com

those firestix's are way bendy... i dont think you need to worry about the spring. I dont agree that all antennas are tuneable, but oh well, I dont want to argue.
My friend has the 3 or 4 ft firestick, just make sure it gets a good ground, or you might have some problems.

get the spring!! lots of the firestik kits come with a spring. without a spring that firberglass will crack in half on a tree or rock! besides it makes the antenna a bit higher anyway.

My experience is with a TJ, but that should not make too much difference.
I have been running a 2 foot FireStik on the driver's side fender for years and have been very pleased. I also use the coil spring. It is great on the trails, I can see exactly what it is doing, and I can grab it and pull it out of the way if really necessary. The spring does bend over a bit on the highway if the air speed is over 80mph, but it just looks a little strange. Still works fine.

You can also stick one of the short magnetic mount units up right on the cowl for the trails. I have seen that work nicely too.
The FireStik site is www.firestik.com. When I could not find the mount I wanted locally, I called them and was able to order the whole antenna, cable, mount, spring package directly from them.
Bruce

Back