• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to do with rusted out rocker panels?

XJ91

NAXJA Forum User
I've been debating whether or not to just replace my rocker panels with factory spec, third party ones? Or just get some tubing but not sure which one??

2x6x3/16
2x5.5x3/16
3x5x3/16

My main concern is that rust has not been nice to my heep and the pinch seam is almost non existant. This was evident when I had the bolts to the x-member loose on one side and the frame rail that the other side that was attached too litterally flexed as I moved the x-member up and down.

Is it easy to have a new pinch seam made? I have access to a MIG (sadly without gas) and when I prcticed on sheetmetal, you would a thought I was using a cutter.

sounds like you had your welder turned up too high, try turning it down or moving faster or both.....when welding the thicker metal box tube to the sheet metal, concentrate your puddle on the thick metal and alow it to flow into the thin.....I would practice this before welding it onto your jeep!

Justin

Roll your jeep on its side, it makes it a lot easier to weld the rails :roflmao:

XJ_Roll_1.jpg

Check out MadXJ, they have several articles about cutting out the old and replacing with tubing. LOL

TNScrambler said:
sounds like you had your welder turned up too high, try turning it down or moving faster or both.....when welding the thicker metal box tube to the sheet metal, concentrate your puddle on the thick metal and alow it to flow into the thin.....I would practice this before welding it onto your jeep!

Justin
I was just practicing last thing I want to do is weld to my jeep before I can get good beads, but had no luck getting a good weld on sheet. I know that I need to get myself a gas mixture for my MIG.

old_man said:
Roll your jeep on its side, it makes it a lot easier to weld the rails :roflmao:

Check out MadXJ, they have several articles about cutting out the old and replacing with tubing. LOL

I have looked at the articles on MadXJ, that's what got me started on this.

My real problem is, most that use box tube replacements have a pinch seam to weld to.

Cut out the pinch seam too and allow the box to replace that also. Use the smallest gauge wire you can for your welder on the lowest heat setting to weld sheet metal. If necessary, just pull trigger and let go again, sort of an instant blast, do this at several locations, rather than trying to run a bead on it.

xj92 said:
Cut out the pinch seam too and allow the box to replace that also. Use the smallest gauge wire you can for your welder on the lowest heat setting to weld sheet metal. If necessary, just pull trigger and let go again, sort of an instant blast, do this at several locations, rather than trying to run a bead on it.

If I cut out the pinch seam, what is a good size tube to use?
With the smallest gauge wire I would still need to use gas? Right?

Back