• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire ratings?

ChuckstrPT

NAXJA Member #791
So Tire Rack has 245/75/16 MTR's on sale for $117.....not sure why. But they are "E" load rated. If I remember correctly, this is a heavy duty truck tire?? With thicker sidewall construction?? Meaning Crappolla ride on the street?? as opposed to a "C" load rated tire??? Was looking at 255's, but that will cost another $150......and that ain't nothin to sneeze at! We'z on a budget!
Thanks for any opinions....right or wrong :laugh2:

An E range tire is constructed of 10 plys, as oppossed to the more popular C range, which is composed of 6. As far as OEM goes, the only things that came with load range Es stock are 3/4 ton trucks and above. They are a stiff tire, since they're made for heavy duty trucks and usually have a max air pressure rating of 80 PSI.

The Wrangler Rubicons come with those tires stock, and I've heard many owners on other Jeep boards complain of the stiff ride, and swapping out the tires and wheels for larger 15" load range Cs.

If you're like me, you usually ride on the rubber until they absolutely need to be replaced, and in that case I personally would spend the extra money for a tire more suited to my rig, especially since it is my daily driver. My 2cents.

SyCo said:
An E range tire is constructed of 10 plys, as oppossed to the more popular C range, which is composed of 6. As far as OEM goes, the only things that came with load range Es stock are 3/4 ton trucks and above. They are a stiff tire, since they're made for heavy duty trucks and usually have a max air pressure rating of 80 PSI.

That is what I was thinking/worried about. But they show 2 different 245/75/16's in MTR's. Both E load. The only obvious difference it one is White Letters, and one Black Sidewall. The black sidewalls being $117 ea. sucks.

Back