• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

15 amp fuse keeps blowing - HELP PLEASE!

pancake

NAXJA Forum User
So, I am driving along and everything seems fine. I pull into a driveway and put the XJ into reverse...DEAD! The engine just dies on me. This was at night so I couldn't see well. I walked about a mile to a local store and got myself a flashlight, turns out one of the 15 amp fuses in the PDC (engine compartment) blew. I checked the electrical diagrams in my manual and it doesn't really show what that leads to, but I 'think' it goes to the fuel pump because I don't hear the pump turn on when the fuse blows.

I replaced the fuse and it drove just fine. I have driven the XJ ~60 miles since then with no problems...UNTIL TODAY! I pulled up to my house and put it in reverse to align myself with the curb, and it cuts out again. When this happens none of the gauges work either if that helps. I am supposed to drive up to WA from CA on Wednesday so I need to fix this.

Anyone have ideas? I searched and the only thing that came up was the fuel pump, but it runs fine most of the time. In both instances I had just put the XJ into reverse.

HELP PLEASE!!!! I'm unemployed and cannot afford to take my XJ to the dealer right now. :(

well if it makes you feel any better I have the same problem sometimes. I just bought a pack of em at auto zone and replace them every time one blows. It really confused the hell out of me though when it first happened. I couldn't figure out why nothing was working.

It just might help to know what year and what engine you have.....

As a side note, my 92 XJ w/ 4.0l and an auto had the wiring for the O2 sensor short out against the exhaust manifold. It would blow the fuel pump maxi-fuse when the key turned on until the wiring was fixed.

ChiXJeff

i believe the fuse is for the o2 heater . i would check underneath the jeep and see if the downstream o2 sensor wiring isnt shorted or chaffed near the drive shaft. when this happens the 5 volt reference circuit shorts out and shuts the system down.

Blair Williams said:
Put a higher amp fuse in there, like a 20 or 30.
That is an extraordinarily *BAD* idea. Never, ever, EVER, replace a fuse with a higher rating to keep it from blowing.

I have a 1998 XJ with the 4.0L and AW4. If you are looking at the Power Distribution Center (fuse box under hood on passenger side) from the front of the vehicle, I believe it is within the 1st row of the mini-fuses, second from the left. I haven't checked the O2 wires yet, but I'll take a look in the morning. It's just so strange that this only happens when I am driving along, stop, and put the XJ in reverse. :huh:

Another side question...when I don't drive the XJ for a couple weeks, the ABS light stays on for a few days? Any ideas there?

Definately don't replace the fuse with a higher rating.....thats what tinfoil was designed for :shhh:

I would check all around the driveshaft, and shifter. Something has to be shorting out. Check the Neutral Safety switch and all the corresponding wires. Also, have you replaced the reverse light bulbs lately? Or checked the sockets and such for corrosion? I know the electrical systems can be crazy, I saw a Caravan that had a screwy Instrument Cluster because a single filament bulb was put in the tail light instead of a dual. Just some things to look at. Next would be to talk to a dealer.

Nope, haven't changed any bulbs lately. I thought about that, but then it would blow the fuse anytime I engage reverse, not just after a period of moving forward. I'm about to head out and check under the vehicle. Where is the NSS locaed on the AW4?

I haven't changed anything before this started happening. I changed the oil a couple weeks ago, but nothing else for at least 3-4 months.

jneary said:
i believe the fuse is for the o2 heater . i would check underneath the jeep and see if the downstream o2 sensor wiring isnt shorted or chaffed near the drive shaft. when this happens the 5 volt reference circuit shorts out and shuts the system down.

old_man said:
Definately don't replace the fuse with a higher rating.....thats what tinfoil was designed for :shhh:

ohh... so I guess I SHOULDN'T have used SODER on the connection then... :gag:

Back