• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trannydipstick- how 2 get 2 the filter?

Codeman

NAXJA Forum User
I am changing my fluid right now, and I can't get the pan off because the dip stick tube is stuck to it- how do I get it off, can I just bang it off, or what?
thanx!
Codeman

I encountered the same problem a couple years back. Let's just say I got a crick in my neck to this day. It's not fun trying to scrape old gasket off a tranny pan in tight quarters. But that's what I did. I pulled the pan down as far as the dipstick tube would allow.

I'd be curious to know how you pull that pan completely off too. I'm guessing maybe you would unbolt the dipstick tube from the pan first. Haven't gotten around to looking at how that tube is connected to the pan. I'll do that next time I'm under there. Or maybe it doesn't come off at all? Integrated with the pan?

There is one bolt on the passenger side holding the dipstick tube on. It is right above the starter and i believe the only bolt on that side. Once you take that off you can slide the dipstick tube right down. Its to much of a pain to line the dipstick tube back up to bolt it where it was originally located so i just left it unbolted. Not sure if this will hurt anything or not though:confused:

Also i dont think you can remove the dipstick tube from the pan. I think it might be welded to it. Dont hold me to that though b/c im not sure haven't had to change my oil lately since i havent been drivin the jeep.

The dipstick tube is a two-piece assembly. There's a slip joint with an O-ring approximately where the brace bolts to the bellhousing. The lower part of the tube is welded into the pan.

The theory is that you just take it apart at the slip joint. Problem is that the O-ring gets hard and dynamite won't get the two halves apart. I destroyed the upper half when I did a tranny filter last year. Went to my dealer and they were out of stock on the part -- they had used the last one the day before. Found one at another dealer an hour farther north. Their service manager told me they stock a lot of them because they assume it will get trashed when changing the filter.

He suggested using Vaseline when reassembling. I did that, but I don't know if that's a long-term fix or if it just makes reassembly easier.

The part cost about $10, IIRC.

The only way I've found to get the fill tube out is by pulling it straight out.(the two parts of the tube have to be directly in line.) I take the bolt out the holds the fill tube to the bell housing, then pull straight up on the tube while wiggling it around. It usually comes right out. Re-attach the pan with a couple of bolts to hold it in place first. Use a new o-ring and vaseline when reassembling.

Back