• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP ... A/C Question

90red

NAXJA Forum User
I need some help guys. I have a 90XJ 4.0 5 speed. I have completely redone the A/C with R134-A, but it still doesnt seem to cool properly. All necessary parts were replaced and others cleaned. I have the right amount of oil and freon. No leaks present. The thing I notice most is that my compressor doesnt cycle. The compressor is a rebuilt one. When I went to install it, I had to remove the wire that screws to the top of the compressor from the old one. When I hooked it up, connected both of the wires coming from the compressor to the wire connector. When I turned it on it would immediately blow the fuse. So I clipped what I think is the ground wire and it ran fine and I was able to fill it properly. High side and low side pressures are within specs. Are there any sensors that control the A/C that could be going out, or do I need to find another place to connect the wire that I clipped. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

90red

Can't offer help but do have questions. What do you mean by "doesn't cycle"? Does it stay on and does not turn off?

One thing to know about 134 is that it takes longer to get cool and it does not cool as much as R12. It is a less efficient gas for the same system.

Thats exactly what I mean. It turns on and doesnt turn off until I turn it off. I did replace the expansion valve, drier, and compressor to go with the R134-A. I assumed the rest of the system would be compatible.

90red

I suggest you do a search using A/C. I believe there was a recent post that described the location of a sensor on the evaporator that turns the A/C of when it gets cold enough. It may have failed or is not connected.

If you have a FSM or the right Chilton manual, you can locate it.

The only other items that come to mind is the relay for the compressor clutch. You mentioned the wire you connected that blew a fuse. I would double check that the wires are connected to the right circuits. The only way the compressor clutch comes on is when there is power to the clutch. So I would question that the power is going through the relay, it may be by-passed. In fact, this is what I would check first. The evap sensor may be difficult to locate and get to.

Great time of year for this problem! Good thing it is not winter!

Thanks for the advice. I will do some searching for that sensor. I do believe that the wiring for the compressor is an intact, original factory setup. Gotta love A/C problems in August in Austin, TX.

90red

Back