• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stalling problem

sbxj

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched and read many posts but did not see anything specific to my problem... On my '92 the I'm experiencing intermittent stalling and hard starting when hot. The Jeep runs great 99% of the time then it will stumble a little when accelerating from a stop (going straight or turning.) Sometimes it will die and after cranking for a long time (with foot to the floor) it will eventually start but it sputters like it's flooded and will idle high until it stabilizes after a few seconds. I can drive around, shut it off and it will start right up, other times it will not....I changed the plugs recently and this improved the performance but did not correct the problem. Thanks for any help.

First off, never start the vehicle with you foot on the gas. The computer takes care of the starting mixture. Holding it gas pedal down can cause wierd starting. If it senses a wide open throttle position at start, it thinks you are trying to start it after it was flooded and will shut off the injectors.

When the Jeep stalls and is hard to start, the CPS is usually the prime suspect. If you haven't replaced it since your Jeep was new, it's definitely on the way out.

Just a followup...I replaced CPS and TPS which helped some. Jeep Dealer found I had a bad CTS ( coolant sensor) to the computer. Jeeps running great now. :)

Back