• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air Intake Mods??

Air Intake Mods

• Stock box with K&N drop in filter

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • K&N FIPK

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Snorkel w/ K&N filter

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Regular tube filter w/o heat/splash shield

Votes: 13 35.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xjman1

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for direction/suggestions on what air intake mod route to take. I have submitted a poll so submit your experience. I want to remain smog legal thus the options chosen and plan to do exhaust mods as well, probably Dyno Max or Flow master cat back.
Poll is for Intake only at this time but will read exhaust recomendations as well.

Thanks in Advance!

to stay smog leagal, you need to buy a kit that is approved. i think that the cold air type that seals off part of the engine bay for the cone filter is the best. i made one custom . get a tube and cone filter . if you see deep water frequently, get a snorkle.

cheers

ive got a rustys air tube w. a big S&B (like K&N but better) cone filter....dont know if its legal or whatever in NY.....but the performance increase was definately noteworthy

Deep Water

88justin said:
to stay smog leagal, you need to buy a kit that is approved. i think that the cold air type that seals off part of the engine bay for the cone filter is the best. i made one custom . get a tube and cone filter . if you see deep water frequently, get a snorkle.

cheers

I do not see much deep water here in So Cal but play quite a bit in the water when I can. The thing about water that most concerns me with a cone filter is splashing onto the filter, thus the K&N choice with heat shield and smog number I think.
On the snorkel do not know if that would affect smogging or not here? All equipment is in place just changing intake location.

Thanks for your advice!!

worst case scenario... get whatever intake kit you want (i have a stock intake, so i can't recommend one over another), but keep your stock pieces on hand to swap back in for your smog inspections, then put the aftermarket pieces back on. it's not a big deal, especially since you only have to do it once every 2 years ;)

I have the snorkel and K&N setup. I passed the Emissions station twice with the snorkel on, now this is Maryland but the real kicker was getting worried if it would draw enough air in the station to pass the smog test. Power is okay, seems just like stock, K&N is what it is. So there isn't any clear ideas on what works and doesn't.

stock box flows better with mods

Homebrew Spacer and big bore T/B!
I did make a T/B spacer, had to try somethin wasn't ready for gears and have 3.07's! When I started, I purchased 1" alluminum bar stock for $2.00 and cut the hole 60mm around. Then polished it. Bolts purchased at ACE for $1.60. Gaskets for nothin from dealer, ( I work There!) Went to put it back on and noticed that the spacer was way bigger than the T/B. Decided to machine out the throttle body to 60mm. Put it all back on and ran it in driveway. Noticed that the airbox was actually flexing under rpm! Took the airbox apart and took out the restrictor, put in K&N filter extra from my 96 Ram truck (same filter). Big difference in low end torque a little top end power and a lot of air noise! Was worth the 2 hours and $3.60 to me!

P.s. Just got a digital camera can take pics if you wish!:bunny:

I'm using a home built air tube. Keep in mind all of you deep water forgers, the wiring in our lovely xj's. Anuthing above the dash is just asking for trouble. I think an air tube with a splash guard is just fine.

Re: stock box flows better with mods

ryurabbit said:

P.s. Just got a digital camera can take pics if you wish!:bunny:

Please provide pics if able to now.

Any exhaust recomendations out there?

Thanks!

pics of air induction!

vwp
T/B spacer
__tn_P5090004.jpg
The restrictor in air box!
__tn_P5090005.jpg
Birrds eye view of throtle throat!:bunny:

I have the Turbo City Rocket air tube with K&N cone filter. Its smog legal in CT. The only problem I see with the design is that the tube runs across the top of the valve cover and thus gets hot acting like a heat exchanger to the air being pulled thru. The cooler the air intake temp the more power can be made. A positive of the setup is that the filter element is at the highest possible location under the hood and is less likely to come in contact with water. If I was to do it over again I would go with a setup like Rusty's with a cone shaped element located where the stock air box resides, then shield it from water and heat

Colby

Back