• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP 242 Select Trac Skid Plate

Northern Pride

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all I gotta go to bed, but wanted to throw this out there. I have looked high and low for a good skid for the select trac NP242 "not command trac 231 TC"

I love DPG Off Roads for there 231 but they don't make it for the 242 yet. Which one are you guys with the NP242 Select tracs running? Are they rugged? Do you like them? Do you have pics of it? etc.....

Thx for your input!

NP

I was using Rusty's skid under a 242 before the case died and I replaced it with a 231.

It's one of the beefiest parts on the Jeep...held up to four years of me acting like a fool, so it's gotta be OK.

I use Tomken's plate. It was about the only one out there when I bought it.

It is usable but I wouldn't say rugged. I am not happy with the lack of a good side bolster

Sorry, I don't have a pic.

woody said:
I was using Rusty's skid under a 242 before the case died and I replaced it with a 231.

It's one of the beefiest parts on the Jeep...held up to four years of me acting like a fool, so it's gotta be OK.
Thx for the input guys!

Woody did you have any issues with it rubbing on anything that you can remember? It seems so I heard someone say something to that effect before.

Last edited:
Northern Pride said:
Thx for the input guys!

Woody did you have any issues with it rubbing on anything that you can remember? It seems so I heard someone say something to that effect before.

No fitment issues at all...just some different holes drilled in the x member (skid came off a 5 spd MJ and onto a auto/242 XJ that has a 1" case drop)

I use the one from www.cherokee-nation.com . It bolts to the framerail, but I have it tacked in a few places just so it'll stay on in the big rocks.

When new
is.php

Nowadays, 6 months later
is.php

is.php

check oud skid row automotive. they make a skid tha fits the 231 and the 242 i have it on my 92 xj aw4, 4.0 and 242 fits great and is made of 3/16 steel and comes powdercoated black.

madmechanic said:
check oud skid row automotive. they make a skid tha fits the 231 and the 242 i have it on my 92 xj aw4, 4.0 and 242 fits great and is made of 3/16 steel and comes powdercoated black.
Powder coat, shmowder coat. See my post above for the importance of any kind of "tough" coating.

Okie Terry that skid doesn't look bad but I already see a problem I may have with any skid I purchase. I have the rock slyders from detours in CT and they run tight along the sub frame and bolting the skid on as you show isn't even an option. Damn I didn't even think of that.

I may have to have one custom made!

I can't post a pic on here or I would show you.

Thx

Back