• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what auto tranny do i have?

utahxjer

NAXJA Forum User
My main xj is a 86' 2.5L, 5spd, but I just got a donor 85'xj and I just dropped the auto tranny and tc. I have no idea which auto tranny it is, and will it bolt up to my 2.5L? Also it has a selec trac transfer case, which tc is this? It doesn't have a slip yoke either, it's a fixed yoke.

Probably the same as mine:

Torqueflight 904 - 3 speed automatic - used 84-86 with 2.8L V6 engine and ?

and probably this:

NP228/NP229 - "Selec-Trac" - 4Hi(full-time) - N - 4Lo (part-time) - used 84-87

Will it bolt up? Don't know what it was bolted to before so kinda hard to answer that one.

Yeah it was bolted up to a 2.8L, and I have the 2.5L, possibly a 4.0L in the near future. Will that tranny bolt up to either of those? And how is the np229 tc? Is it strong or had many problems? thanks for the help

utahxjer said:
Yeah it was bolted up to a 2.8L, and I have the 2.5L, possibly a 4.0L in the near future. Will that tranny bolt up to either of those? And how is the np229 tc? Is it strong or had many problems? thanks for the help

The 2.8's and the 2.5's shared common standard transmissions, but that is accomplished through the bell housing. I really have no idea of interchange on this one. Someone else needs to jump in here on this. I will say that if you're going with a 4.0 you'll want the AW4 for the OD and the torque multiplication you get with the auto. One of the best ways to gain information is to use the search button at the top and read what everyones gone through with something you're wondering about. Don't be afraid to PM them for more info too. I've only had one out of about 100 questions that I've asked that wasn't returned using the PM feature here and on other sites. I'd use this for the np229 info. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back